When should the O’s call up Rutschman?

Frobby

When should the O’s call up Rutschman?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. When should the O’s call up Rutschman?

• Now - he’s as ready as he needs to be and will benefit from the experience
    • Later this summer if he continues to do well in AA
    • He should get promoted to AAA soon and get called up later if he does well there
    • September call-up, only if he keeps doing well
    • Opening Day 2022
    • Not until service time deadline for free agency passes in 2022
    • Not until Super-2 status is likely passed in 2022

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/12/21 at 01:11

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

What is the point of a Sept call up?  He barely gets his feet wet and you start the clock.  Either do it soon or just wait.  

Yep. I’d get him up to AAA for this month and then bring him up around the ASB. Have to assume he would’ve dominated AA last year if there had been a season. I just want him to see more seasoned P at AAA and let him loose unless he bombs there. 

The idea that there is no reason to bring him up this year is just completely false.  

When do you guys want to be good?  Do you think we can just bring these guys up, snap our fingers and boom, they are instantly good? 

Give him experience this year and have him ready to roll next year.  He is already 23.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that there is no reason to bring him up this year is just completely false.  

When do you guys want to be good?  Do you think we can just bring these guys up, snap our fingers and boom, they are instantly good? 

Give him experience this year and have him ready to roll next year.  He is already 23.

Im in favor of him starting opening day next year, but overall I'd like his bat to decide when he's ready. He's had a good start. Another month in Bowie then think about promoting him to AAA. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Adley Rutschman is currently hitting .277/.445/.530 at Bowie, with 6 homers, 20 RBI, 23 BB and 21 K’s in 24 games and 110 PA.   Obviously, he is showing great plate discipline and a lot of power.    There have been some reports that he’s vulnerable to well placed high fastballs.   But, the majority of his strikeouts occurred in his first 6 games, when he struck out 11 times in 29 PA.   Since then, he’s had only 10 K’s in 81 PA.

You could argue that he’s shown he’s ready enough that he wouldn’t be overwhelmed by the big leagues.   You could even argue that he’s already better than Severino/Wynns/Sisco.   Certainly, there’s no way to inow without trying it.  

Still, if you call him up you start his service clock, and it’s not like the O’s will contend this year with him, or even sniff .500.    And, perhaps there is more to learn in AA and/or AAA that would help him to be more ready when he does make his major league debut.  

So, what would you do?   I think we ran a similar poll in the offseason, but now we have a month of data on Rutschman and we can see where things stand with the team and the other catchers.    Thoughts?

Keep him with the future starting pitchers and let them gel even more. Wait to start the clock to increase the window of opportunity for the big league club. What’s more valuable? Experience in the bigs or experience with your future stars? 

Edited by Explosivo

12 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Keep him with the future starting pitchers and let them gel even more. Wait to start the clock to increase the window of opportunity for the big league club. What’s more valuable? Experience in the bigs or experience with your future stars? 

Experience up here.

I also think there is a marketing component to bringing up Adley this year.  You have to give the fans a bit of hope.  I don't know how many extra tickets he sells but I do think it keeps interest in the Orioles for the rest of the year.  Also I am not sure how the possible labor issues coming next year could factor into it.  Will the service time issues change after next year?  Probably in some form or other.  I think one of the worse thing for a team like the Orioles is to lose more development time for their prospects because of a strike/lockout.  Especially after coming off last years shutdown.  

7 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I also think there is a marketing component to bringing up Adley this year.  You have to give the fans a bit of hope.  I don't know how many extra tickets he sells but I do think it keeps interest in the Orioles for the rest of the year.  Also I am not sure how the possible labor issues coming next year could factor into it.  Will the service time issues change after next year?  Probably in some for or other.  I think one of the worse thing for a team like the Orioles is to lose more development time for their prospects because of a strike/lockout.  Especially after coming off last years shutdown.  

I would think any service time changes would start with new players coming into the organizations when the CBa is completed..IE, everyone else would be grandfathered into the old rules.

Just a guess though.

1 hour ago, accinfo said:

I also think there is a marketing component to bringing up Adley this year.  You have to give the fans a bit of hope.  I don't know how many extra tickets he sells but I do think it keeps interest in the Orioles for the rest of the year.  Also I am not sure how the possible labor issues coming next year could factor into it.  Will the service time issues change after next year?  Probably in some form or other.  I think one of the worse thing for a team like the Orioles is to lose more development time for their prospects because of a strike/lockout.  Especially after coming off last years shutdown.  

Just embrace this year as a dead year. After last year’s lack of fans, any fans is a win. People who are fans of the team may not check up on the team after every game but Baltimore is a baseball town. When the team starts to win again, the town won’t just turn their backs on em. The important thing to do is to make the window of competitive baseball as long as possible by not starting the future too early. Be patient. This year is in the books already, no need to salvage it by selling a marginal amount more of tickets and sacrificing a year’s playing time when we are competitive. 

Patience, please.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What is the point of a Sept call up?  He barely gets his feet wet and you start the clock.  Either do it soon or just wait.  

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  

I'd personally wait until next April 15th or whatever.  But if you're not going to do that then he should be up here immediately.