Florida Complex League

coe76

Question for those who follow the lower levels better than I do.  I have noticed in many games in this particular league that there are a large number of fielding errors.  Is this because the fields are of a lower quality or the fact that the majority of the players are very young.  Or unforgiving scorers making hit/error judgements!  Thanks for the help.

17 minutes ago, coe76 said:

Question for those who follow the lower levels better than I do.  I have noticed in many games in this particular league that there are a large number of fielding errors.  Is this because the fields are of a lower quality or the fact that the majority of the players are very young.  Or unforgiving scorers making hit/error judgements!  Thanks for the help.

Probably a combination of the first two.   

In the minors - unlike MLB - players who hit grounders run to first like their lives (and professional careers) depend on it.   Additionally, almost all are very athletic and can get down the line at a decent clip.  If the infielder bobbles the ball or slightly mishandles the play, the runner is typically safe, unlike in MLB where the batter may amble down the line and not run hard until the ball is bobbled.  This occurs at all levels of the minors.  I wouldn't be surprised if this boosts minor league errors by some noticeable number. 

1 hour ago, Dreadnought said:

In the minors - unlike MLB - players who hit grounders run to first like their lives (and professional careers) depend on it.   Additionally, almost all are very athletic and can get down the line at a decent clip.  If the infielder bobbles the ball or slightly mishandles the play, the runner is typically safe, unlike in MLB where the batter may amble down the line and not run hard until the ball is bobbled.  This occurs at all levels of the minors.  I wouldn't be surprised if this boosts minor league errors by some noticeable number. 

Fernando Tatis, Jr. hustles at times!

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, McLovin said:

We are in Sarasota, and really bored. Red Tide has decimated the beaches…

Question - do the FCL teams allow fans? I can’t find out anything about ticketing. Are the games free? And are they still letting them in with COVID? 

Good question.  If you look at the Coby Mayo thread, there are two home made videos of his two homers, made by his parents I think.   In both, you can see that there’s absolutely nobody in the stands on the 1B side.   But it does seem like there were a few people on the 3B side, including whoever shot the video.  

7 minutes ago, waynebug said:

Just noticed orioles orange best player 3rd baseman Moises Ramirez is on the 60 day IL.

Only won 2 of their first 20 games. Elias needs another year or 2 worth of international signees for all 4 short season teams to be competitive.

Well, that sucks about Ramirez, as he was playing very well.   

The DSL teams and FCL Black are pretty competitive.   It was a bit of a stretch to have two teams at both those levels, but at least there’s plenty of room for our recent draftees to get into FCL play.   

17 minutes ago, waynebug said:

Just noticed orioles orange best player 3rd baseman Moises Ramirez is on the 60 day IL.

Only won 2 of their first 20 games. Elias needs another year or 2 worth of international signees for all 4 short season teams to be competitive.

He needs to trade for another dozen Moose specials.

On 7/28/2021 at 10:47 PM, Frobby said:

In exchange, we need a full report on what you see!

Well, we didn’t make a game. Was excited to see Orange play Black today - which would have been cool to see everyone! But the red tide mess actually shifted for the first time since arriving, and we had a nice beach day. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Well, we didn’t make a game. Was excited to see Orange play Black today - which would have been cool to see everyone! But the red tide mess actually shifted for the first time since arriving, and we had a nice beach day. 

The game got canceled.   I guess everyone was excited to go to the beach!