Valaika DFA. Mateo replaces him

eddie83

18 hours ago, interloper said:

Franco on the bench today, at least. 

Urias 3B
Mateo 2B
Martin SS

As it should be. 

If and until Jones comes up, this should be the regular infield.  Is it something to get excited about? Of course not.  But that's how low the bar is right now, and Franco should not be playing. 

Last night’s game showed why Mateo and Urias likely won’t be our middle infield of the future. Mateo misplayed two grounders at short, both times in the catch-to-transfer phase, and Urias just blew it on a pop-up behind second that he was under but then missed as he fell to the ground. Three errors between them, four unearned runs. 

2 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Last night’s game showed why Mateo and Urias likely won’t be our middle infield of the future. Mateo misplayed two grounders at short, both times in the catch-to-transfer phase, and Urias just blew it on a pop-up behind second that he was under but then missed as he fell to the ground. Three errors between them, four unearned runs. 

There is a reason why these players are available. I’m hoping flaws and all we can get serviceable production at 2nd from one or a combo. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Mateo was charged with one error last night, not two.

Looking as Mateo errors history he looks better at 2B than SS.

At the very least we get to see Mateo instead of Valaika. Much more interesting and potentially exciting. 

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

At the very least we get to see Mateo instead of Valaika. Much more interesting and potentially exciting. 

I would definitely agree. As long as we're not in contention, at least make it someone who can be an equal mix of electrifying and messy.

I stand corrected on Mateo's two errors. I couldn't pay enough attention to the game to hear how they ruled it. What a mess that was to watch, even in the background.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mateo makes a perfectly fine super utility guy with potential to be more than that.  As it is, there's no harm in giving him regular AB's right now.

Its more than no harm.  He is becoming a offense leader with the team.  Not on the scale of Cedric but Mateo's OPS is up to 849.

• Haha 1

Jonathan Villar is an excellent example of who the best of our guys are. He was a good-and cheap-player on the Astros when they sucked. When they got better he wasn’t good enough so they shipped him to Milwaukee. He was adequate-and still cheap- for the Brewers, but when they got better they dumped him on us and he was no longer cheap.

these players will never be part of a good team because they aren’t good.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Its more than no harm.  He is becoming a offense leader with the team.  Not on the scale of Cedric but Mateo's OPS is up to 849.

In 11 games.   I’m glad he’s had a good two weeks, but I’m not ready to say he’s an offensive leader.  There’s nothing in his major league or minor league track record to make me think he’ll sustain it.   But he certainly gets a chance to prove otherwise.  

I haven’t been watching much, but from what little I’ve seen and what I’ve read, his defense is pretty questionable.