To Bowie:

• C Chris Hudgins
  • RHP Tyler Joyner
  • OF Shayne Fontana

To Delmarva:

• RHP Carlos Del Rosario

To FCL:

• C Michael Mantecon

I'm looking forward to watching Carlos Del Rosario pitch in Delmarva. I heard he has some big velocity numbers.

• Upvote 1

Actually Del Rosario is a Duquette signee from.August 2018.  Older guy now 22.  Big guy that caught my eye in 2019 for his strikeouts.

There's a similar guy, Charbel Abboud, on Orioles 1.  6'6" 236 pounds from Venezuela. Signed in July 2019.  Baseball America stated he threw 94 as a 16 year when he signed.

He pitched today and struck out all 4 men he faced.  For some reason he has only pitched 5 innings this year.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Shayne Fontana probably is an organization guy but he might grind his way to the majors as a 4th outfielder.   Nothing that stands out with him but he did get a lot of AB's at Aberdeen.  

Clearing a spot for Cowser?

52 minutes ago, mlrhode said:

Clearing a spot for Cowser?

No, just taking Diaz's spot up in Bowie.   I didn't see anything about a Delmarva OF moving up to take Fontana's spot.   Cowser is most likely going to Delmarva quite soon.   I'm not sure who they could move up.  Sparks?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Shayne Fontana probably is an organization guy but he might grind his way to the majors as a 4th outfielder.   Nothing that stands out with him but he did get a lot of AB's at Aberdeen.  

He’s one of these guys who has underwhelming numbers but for some reason whenever I look at a box score he seems like he’s done something good.  Daschbach is another guy like that.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s one of these guys who has underwhelming numbers but for some reason whenever I look at a box score he seems like he’s done something good.  Daschbach is another guy like that.  

I find Fontana to be a little more interesting.   Fontana plays all three OF spots, has some speed, apparently a decent arm (8 assists this year), some pop (5 homers, 6 triples, 13 doubles in basically 1/2 of a season) and takes a walk (43).   His average is low (.242) and his strikeouts are high (84).   I'm interested to see what he does in Bowie.   

If you look at Fontana's split numbers and eliminate LHP, his numbers are better. At the time of his promotion, it looks like he was having a 17 game on-base streak, which he hadn't done since May. He also hit a 452 ft HR in Aberdeen's home stadium, showing his potential power (I was at the game). Then he followed that up with two more HRs in one series. 

He's a consistent player in the outfield, has speed (not far behind Hall and Watson), and a great arm. He struggled at the plate but that seems to have turned around over the last month. 

Edited by JustLearning
removed some info
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, waynebug said:

Actually Del Rosario is a Duquette signee from.August 2018.  Older guy now 22.  Big guy that caught my eye in 2019 for his strikeouts.

There's a similar guy, Charbel Abboud, on Orioles 1.  6'6" 236 pounds from Venezuela. Signed in July 2019.  Baseball America stated he threw 94 as a 16 year when he signed.

He pitched today and struck out all 4 men he faced.  For some reason he has only pitched 5 innings this year.

Thanks for the insights. Ages with these hard throwers don’t concern me too much because once they figure it out they can move quick. I think of Jorge Julio, Mughal Givens, and not Felix Bautista. 

Hopefully we have another big arm/fast riser in the mix. 

Fontana is one of those guys that physically looks like a guy. He brings some raw tools to field like a little pop and speed, but he hasn't ever really been able to tap into the power during game time very often. 

He did pretty well against righties as a 24-year old in Aberdeen, but he really doesn't have any part of game that stands out. Defensively he's fine in RF, but not a plus defender there and while he runs effectively, it's not game changing speed on the bases.

He's a nice 23rd round pick since he's an effective org guy with some tools to work from, but he's an org guy for me still.