Rylan Bannon 2021

Just Regular

Put Chris Davis at third to start the season. We can spend a month or so arguing whether the team is being hurt more by his offense or defense, and what statistics are most useful in determining and comparing the two. His ineptness will reduce the pressure on any young guys who get off to a slow start. And if he embarrasses himself enough in the field and at the plate, maybe he'll want to retire or find an injury.

Then promote or pull from another system's dumpster somebody who actually can play third base. After Davis, he'll look like a current Gold Glove contender, or maybe even half as good as Brooks.

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arenado blocking Gorman indefinitely, and the Nationals seeming hesitance to let Kieboom play when Dodgers/Padres/Cardinals/Braves/Mets could be a tough field to crack in Scherzer's walk year are two possible high upside targets for the infield if Means was on the table, and toggling positions to balance the roster was something considered.

Maybe we'll get a 3B Westburg, SS Henderson, 2B Vavra teaser in the first week or two of ST games, but those guys are all more '23 than '22 even if they come through.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Guys that need to be protected this November:  DL Hall, Smith, Vavra  Adam Hall and Bradish.    Rutschman if he called up this season but if he is not he will not need be to protected until April 2022.  Sedlock and Hanifee if they improve.

Players that will come off the 40 man roster by Nov. Goudeau and Lopez probably be gone before Opening Day to make room for veteran additions that are signed in minor league contracts like Milone and maybe Alberto.  Cobb, Sulser,  Ruiz, one of Severino or Sisco (could be both) in Nov.   Sanchez and Galvis are FA.  Mancini if traded at the deadline. Otherwise he is probably traded over the winter.  Davis is off the 40 man as soon as the O's know how many games will be played in 2022.

I don't really see a roster crunch this off season.

You have a rash of pitching that is all coming up at the same time.  Some will fail, some will get hurt, etc...but you still will have a numbers crunch.  

You need to start making moves.  Depth is overrated if you lose it and don’t do enough with it.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

You have a rash of pitching that is all coming up at the same time.  Some will fail, some will get hurt, etc...but you still will have a numbers crunch.  

You need to start making moves.  Depth is overrated if you lose it and don’t do enough with it.

Other than trying to trade Cobb and outfighting Sulser, Goodeau and Lopez trying to get them to AAA they don't need to move pitchers.   They need to try to find 5 or 6 out of what they have that can start in the majors.   We have watched for years how young pitchers come up and don't make it.    See if there are  a few that can.   That is what we are about to go through.   

Trading away young pitchers is not what needs to happen.   Giving them chances and see who successes and who fails is part of the process.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

Other than trying to trade Cobb and outfighting Sulser, Goodeau and Lopez trying to get them to AAA they don't need to move pitchers.   They need to try to find 5 or 6 out of what they have that can start in the majors.   We have watched for years how young pitchers come up and don't make it.    See if there are  a few that can.   That is what we are about to go through.   

Trading away young pitchers is not what needs to happen.   Giving them chances and see who successes and who fails is part of the process.

Waiting for guys to fail to the point they have no value is an awful strategy.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don’t know what’s happened with Bannon this year.  Three homers in two games and still he’s only hitting .147 on the year.   Before the last two nights, he’d hit .086 over 23 games since returning to AAA following an injury rehab.   That’s crazy bad.  

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know what’s happened with Bannon this year.  Three homers in two games and still he’s only hitting .147 on the year.   Before the last two nights, he’d hit .086 over 23 games since returning to AAA following an injury rehab.   That’s crazy bad.  

What was the injury and how long has he been playing through it?

Not excusing his performance because of that for the entire season, but it’s clear to me that Santander wasn’t himself because of injury for most of the season either. 

20 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

What was the injury and how long has he been playing through it?

Not excusing his performance because of that for the entire season, but it’s clear to me that Santander wasn’t himself because of injury for most of the season either. 

Oblique.

I didn't see a thread for Bannon and to be honest he hasn't really deserved one with his disappointing season so far.

Anyways, he's hit 4 homeruns in the last 3 games so that's exciting. With AAA running longer this year he has a chance to turn it around.

Two homers tonight now, five in the last three games.  

When I posted in this thread earlier today, I didn’t realize this was in the Orioles major league forum.   It really belongs over on the minor league forum, where a thread on Bannon was started today.   I suggest the mods should move this over there and merge it with the other thread (or just move it).