Britt joining in on the bash fest

Sports Guy

6 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Why is it that national writers can’t seem to grasp such simple concepts? This is worse than Buster Olney’s tertiary view of our rebuild. This lady actually covered the team well and she still doesn’t get it. I think this is just political posturing for national writers to protect one of their own. I really can’t believe she’s siding with Olney. What a traitor.

I wouldn’t go so far to call her a traitor. I think she is wrong. 

Not a one of them has offered any solution. It’s the standard spend money nonsense. 

They see a team that isn’t even competitive.  The games are done before the 4th inning on most days.  There are very few players who are part of the future on the ML roster and way more guys who are more likely to be out of baseball by the time the Os should contend.

The overall point is true.  It is an embarrassment. But it’s when they go into detail is when they screw up.  Like including 2018..or Britt mentioned that Law has the system ranked 18th.  Now I get why she is using Law.  Law writes for the Athletic, as does Britt.  But she doesn’t bring up that he is the only one who ranks them that low.

Os fans are clinging onto the idea that good things are happening in the minors and that is very true.  The problem is, outside of Adley and GRod, how much of it will impact the team anytime soon or at all?

To me, I don’t have an issue with them saying what they are saying as a general, overall point.  I would expect the Baltimore fan base to get all up in arms about it because that’s just what the Baltimore fan does.  However, I also think the true time to do this will be in Jan/Feb and see what they have done in the offseason.  If this offseason is the same as it has been in recent years, they deserve every bit of criticism they get.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They offer no solution because there isn’t one. If Elias holds on to the Bundy and Cobb types they are a little more competitive. Ok fine. Still last place team, still not a contender. System not as deep. 

What exactly are they getting at here? If the Orioles did what they wanted them to do they would likely lose around 95 games. Ok great. Do we get a lollipop for that? 

They don’t need to offer a solution.  They aren’t writing an article about it.  They sharing thoughts in 240 or less characters.(well Rosenthal wrote an article but it wasn’t just about the Os)

Their opinion is this is an embarrassment that they continue to field a team this bad.  They are right.  I don’t see how any one can dispute that.

Now, I agree with you that it’s not as cut and dry.  Meoli’s article illustrates someone looking at whole picture but even looking at the whole picture, it’s hard to see much reason for the team to be really good any time soon.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They don’t need to offer a solution.  They aren’t writing an article about it.  They sharing thoughts in 240 or less characters.(well Rosenthal wrote an article but it wasn’t just about the Os)

Their opinion is this is an embarrassment that they continue to field a team this bad.  They are right.  I don’t see how any one can dispute that.

Now, I agree with you that it’s not as cut and dry.  Meoli’s article illustrates someone looking at whole picture but even looking at the whole picture, it’s hard to see much reason for the team to be really good any time soon.

That’s true. It’s click bait. That said it doesn’t make it ok. 

Here is my basic point. 

Bad teams hold on to more of their talent. They do that and they are more competitive. Ok fine. If they trade them last minute like a Manny they get less back. They all know this. 

Do they realize if teams try to maximize wins it lessens the number of contenders?  An 85 loss team may hang around until July but they aren’t a contender. You would have bad teams win closer to 65-70 instead of 55-65. Ok fine. What’s the impact then on the sport as a whole? The more the bad teams win the less everyone else does. It has to even out. 

The Angels made moves with us recently in an attempt to win. If we don’t trade with them they the media whines they aren’t trying. How can everyone try to maximize winning at the same time? You would never see a trade of proven for prospect ever. Once again you aren’t allowed to do this. So the .500 teams looking to try and improve would stay .500 and the bad teams stay at .400. Wonderful. You have now decreased the number of playoff contenders because the goal of bad teams is not to worry about the future it’s to maximize wins when they aren’t any good. 

The Orioles are in this mess because of a dysfunctional organization led by Peter Angelos. They pushed too far and did everything at the cost of the future major league team. It was all present over future. You can’t as a media member complain when teams try to win, pay a price for that and then complain as it leads to rock bottom. 

The Orioles are terrible because of mistakes made in the past. If they wanted to hold on to some pieces in an attempt to be more competitive they could have went that route. You can argue that but there is also a cost to that. The media ignores that. They complain when mid tier teams don’t try and improve, ok how to do they do that?  They trade with bad teams and enter FA. Once again how can all 30 teams do this at once? The answer is they can’t. 

The Tigers sucked for 4 years. They did in 17 what the Orioles should have done, blew it up. They got top pick in 18 Mize, we picked 11th got Grayson. Imagine Mize on Orioles right now. The Tigers lost 98, 98, 114 and would have lost 100 plus last year. So that is ok but what the Orioles have done for 3 years is not? 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

That’s true. It’s click bait. That said it doesn’t make it ok. 

Here is my basic point. 

Bad teams hold on to more of their talent. They do that and they are more competitive. Ok fine. If they trade them last minute like a Manny they get less back. They all know this. 

Do they realize if teams try to maximize wins it lessens the number of contenders?  An 85 loss team may hang around until July but they aren’t a contender. You would have bad teams win closer to 65-70 instead of 55-65. Ok fine. What’s the impact then on the sport as a whole? The more the bad teams win the less everyone else does. It has to even out. 

The Angels made moves with us recently in an attempt to win. If we don’t trade with them they the media whines they aren’t trying. How can everyone try to maximize winning at the same time? You would never see a trade of proven for prospect ever. Once again you aren’t allowed to do this. So the .500 teams looking to try and improve would stay .500 and the bad teams stay at .400. Wonderful. You have now decreased the number of playoff contenders because the goal of bad teams is not to worry about the future it’s to maximize wins when they aren’t any good. 

The Orioles are in this mess because of a dysfunctional organization led by Peter Angelos. They pushed too far and did everything at the cost of the future major league team. It was all present over future. You can’t as a media member complain when teams try to win, pay a price for that and then complain as it leads to rock bottom. 

The Orioles are terrible because of mistakes made in the past. If they wanted to hold on to some pieces in an attempt to be more competitive they could have went that route. You can argue that but there is also a cost to that. The media ignores that. They complain when mid tier teams don’t try and improve, ok how to do they do that?  They trade with bad teams and enter FA. Once again how can all 30 teams do this at once? The answer is they can’t. 

The Tigers sucked for 4 years. They did in 17 what the Orioles should have done, blew it up. They got top pick in 18 Mize, we picked 11th got Grayson. Imagine Mize on Orioles right now. The Tigers lost 98, 98, 114 and would have lost 100 plus last year. So that is ok but what the Orioles have done for 3 years is not? 

I think they would tell you that it’s not ok…but they are talking about the Os right now.  You seem to be taking this way too personally.

Here is a news flash.  The Orioles are an absolutely embarrassment.  They are a joke, an afterthought, a nothing. They are fielding a team with the purpose of losing.

Pro sports are unlike any industry in the world.  The purpose of a pro sports team is essentially 2 things…make money and entertain.  That’s it.  

The team isn’t entertaining.  People get more excited seeing a 10 second highlight of someone in the minors or check the box score for Adley than they do watching the ML team.  That’s pretty bad.  That’s not what pro sports is supposed to be.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think they would tell you that it’s not ok…but they are talking about the Os right now.  You seem to be taking this way too personally.

Here is a news flash.  The Orioles are an absolutely embarrassment.  They are a joke, an afterthought, a nothing. They are fielding a team with the purpose of losing.

Pro sports are unlike any industry in the world.  The purpose of a pro sports team is essentially 2 things…make money and entertain.  That’s it.  

The team isn’t entertaining.  People get more excited seeing a 10 second highlight of someone in the minors or check the box score for Adley than they do watching the ML team.  That’s pretty bad.  That’s not what pro sports is supposed to be.

I’m not taking it personally, they get on my nerves that’s all. ?

At the end of the day it’s the Orioles fans who are hurt the most by this. The media doesn’t need them to cover the sport. The terrible attendance is bad for Baltimore, Padres fans don’t care. 

A bad NBA team can have an entertaining player, same with NFL. That said there are plenty of bad teams in other sports. They are just sports where an individual player has more impact. Baseball has it harder to entertain when a team doesn’t win. Generally speaking it’s young talent that does that. It’s fun to watch a 22 year old. How do they get those players? Not from the open market. 

This sport is not built like other ones. That needs to be accounted for by the media covering it.

My point is their solution has consequences they ignore. Look at how much chatter baseball had at the trade deadline this year. You can’t have it both ways.