Yusniel Diaz - failed prospect?

Frobby

9 hours ago, Philip said:

No reason to keep Stewart. 25 guys are going to be designated in the next month who have as much ability or more.

Mckenna stays, he’s a splendid outfield defender and runs lickety-split. And that’s something worth keeping.

I tend to agree. McKenna also hit well in AAA this year. I think there's some room for growth offensively, even if he is a defense-first 4th OF. 

As for Stewart, there is a ton of DFA fodder on the 40-man roster, but with at least 15 (if not more) needed to be cleared from the roster, it's difficult to defend keeping a 28 year old DH parading as a corner OFer with poor contact skills. His eye is good, his power is fine (although streaky), but his contact isn't there and the age makes it unlikely that he improves enough to make losing him something you'd regret particularly given his lack of a position and our depth in the OF. We have Mullins, Hays, Santander, and McKenna to play in the Majors at the start of 2022 with Mountcastle and Mancini (if he's kept) taking the 1B/DH at-bats. Then there's Stowers and Neustrom who are both slated for AAA, but could be factors sooner rather than later and both serve as depth. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

For Diaz this a change of scenery without getting an actual change of scenery. Let’s hope this jump starts his progression. 

I'm not optimistic.  He was horrible at Norfolk.  The AFL is like going down a level so that might help and maybe a little down time will regenerate his body a little but there seems to be more going on than that.

On 8/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, glenn__davis said:

Haha, I seriously just came to ask who will have the higher OPS by seasons end, Diaz or Ripken?

Congrats to Diaz for finally pulling this thing out and winning this head-to-head challenge.

Diaz ended the season with a .476 OPS, while Ripken somehow managed to finish lower with .456.   I'm not sure I want to see either one of them get many PA in 2022.  I'm sure Diaz will get another shot though.

There are a lot of potential things that could be happening to Diaz.

First and fires most, it’s the injuries.  He is constantly hurt.  In past years, he would miss time and then take a little time to “get right” and then start to hit and just as he started to build momentum, he would get hurt again.  That has been a pretty consistent pattern for him in his career. Because of those injuries, the time missed, etc…it’s very possible that he has just lost some of his skills and let’s face it, if these guys lose just a little bit, that can end them quickly.

I think there is potentially some “things are stale” issues too.  Been in the minors a long time, longer than it appeared he would be when we traded for him.  I’m not justifying him sucking in 2021, just saying that maybe he isn’t into it mentally.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he looked better in the majors.

Lastly, I think you question how much he cares.  He signed an 8 figure deal with the Dodgers.  Maybe all the injuries have taken enough of a toll on him mentally that he has checked out mentally.

Personally, I think 2021 was just a lost year.  It happens and it will happen to really good players, not just mediocre ones.  I’m not saying I expect him to regain his prospect status, I’m just saying that I want to see what he looks like in ST.  I want to see what kind of shape he is in, what his mindset is, etc…the Orioles have an absolutely awful 40 man roster.  They could get rid of almost half of it and no one here would bat an eye at it.  Diaz is on the bottom end of that half and a lot of guys go before him.  If they do that much movement And need his spot, so be it.  I doubt that happens, so he should remain on the 40 man through the offseason and you take a look at ST.

From that point, you see what you have and he will certainly be on thin ice.

Have to wonder how many guys who had a .476 in the minors ever amounted to much in the majors.

I get the injury excuse. Bad year excuse. Mentally checked out excuse. Things can and do happen, but .476 over 54 games is terrible. That is a kind of small sample size, but not exactly a week of baseball.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There are a lot of potential things that could be happening to Diaz.

First and fires most, it’s the injuries.  He is constantly hurt.  In past years, he would miss time and then take a little time to “get right” and then start to hit and just as he started to build momentum, he would get hurt again.  That has been a pretty consistent pattern for him in his career. Because of those injuries, the time missed, etc…it’s very possible that he has just lost some of his skills and let’s face it, if these guys lose just a little bit, that can end them quickly.

I think there is potentially some “things are stale” issues too.  Been in the minors a long time, longer than it appeared he would be when we traded for him.  I’m not justifying him sucking in 2021, just saying that maybe he isn’t into it mentally.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he looked better in the majors.

Lastly, I think you question how much he cares.  He signed an 8 figure deal with the Dodgers.  Maybe all the injuries have taken enough of a toll on him mentally that he has checked out mentally.

Personally, I think 2021 was just a lost year.  It happens and it will happen to really good players, not just mediocre ones.  I’m not saying I expect him to regain his prospect status, I’m just saying that I want to see what he looks like in ST.  I want to see what kind of shape he is in, what his mindset is, etc…the Orioles have an absolutely awful 40 man roster.  They could get rid of almost half of it and no one here would bat an eye at it.  Diaz is on the bottom end of that half and a lot of guys go before him.  If they do that much movement And need his spot, so be it.  I doubt that happens, so he should remain on the 40 man through the offseason and you take a look at ST.

From that point, you see what you have and he will certainly be on thin ice.

Pretty much agree although if his AFL stint doesn't show improvement in terms of staying healthy and results, then I think that bumps him down on the list.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Pretty much agree although if his AFL stint doesn't show improvement in terms of staying healthy and results, then I think that bumps him down on the list.

He really can’t bump any further down the list so far as I’m concerned.   At this point, if he ever reaches the majors, that will be like found money to me.