This is one of the worst teams I’ve seen at turning double plays

Frobby

13 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Martin not covering second base today on what should have been a DP ball was one of the worst mental mistakes I have seen all year. That was painful. 

I’ve seen enough of Martin.   He’s not consistent in the field and he’s a lousy hitter.   Let’s move on.  

• Upvote 1

On 9/25/2021 at 10:28 AM, Frobby said:

I suppose it’s not surprising for a team that has started 7 different 2B and 5 different SS, but this is one of the worst Orioles teams I’ve seen at turning the DP.   They are 29th in MLB with 91 DP’s, and Fangraphs ranks them 25th in DPR, which is their measure of DP efficiency.  They are 30th in the percentage of DP situations converted into DP’s, at 7%.

I feel like almost nightly, there is some DP opportunity where the runner at 1B is safe by a close margin, where either there is either a slight delay in the initial throw, a slight hiccup on the relay transfer or a pivot throw that just isn’t strong enough.   Last night there were two, one on a slight delay by Gutierrez in making the initial throw, the second on an awkward toss by Martin to Valaika on a ball up the middle.   (In fairness, Gutierrez also started one nice DP.)

Part of this is just lack of time playing together, part is that these guys just aren’t very good.   But it’s playing out on a nightly basis.  

I miss the Manny/Hardy/Schoop days.  A lot.  

There's a reason these guys are available for major league minimum.