2021 Orioles #7 Prospect - Kyle Stowers - RF

Tony-OH

6 hours ago, LookinUp said:

So are we predicting that Stowers is the first guy to hit the warehouse in a game? Or will Neustrom beat him to it?

Gotta think that if he has the power we think, playing 81 games a year at the Yard, that his chance is non-zero. 

Is he a pull hitter?

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I love the fact that he hits the ball harder than anyone EV wise and he will take a walk, so it's not like we're talking Mountcastle here. 

Random question, what leads to one surprising / outperforming with respect to EV? 

Is it a strength thing (ability to handle wood bat vs. aluminum)? Something else?

42 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Random question, what leads to one surprising / outperforming with respect to EV? 

Is it a strength thing (ability to handle wood bat vs. aluminum)? Something else?

EV typically comes from bat speed and the ability to get the barrel to the ball. Some guys are just able to do so  more than others.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

EV typically comes from bat speed and the ability to get the barrel to the ball. Some guys are just able to do so  more than others.

Right. My question is what makes one able to outperform initial expectations. At draft time, I'm guessing nobody would have expected Stowers to be putting up the highest EV in the system 2-3 years down the line. 

37 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Right. My question is what makes one able to outperform initial expectations. At draft time, I'm guessing nobody would have expected Stowers to be putting up the highest EV in the system 2-3 years down the line. 

I don't know what EV information they had at the time of his drafting in 2019, but I do know he was supposed to be a high EV guy. Whether he "outperformed" his EV numbers depends on what he college numbers suggested. The difference of course being he used an aluminum bat in college.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...