Luis Castillo--Trade Target

rudyrooster

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Ha! At that price they’ll keep him till they are old and Gray.

Depending on the strength of their farm system, which I have not checked, they might be interested in a quantity trade with one meaningful piece.

would they take Baumann, Sedlock and Neustrom, for instance?

remember that the Orioles have a terrible reputation with ruining pitchers, So it’s not at all unexpected that the Cincinnati people will say, “well, Sedlock has been terrible but we can fix them.”

or something similar.

I think they could get a top 100 guy for him.  That’s certainly possible, which is why I don’t think some of the names mentioned here are off base.

I just wouldn’t pay that.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I think they could get a top 100 guy for him.  That’s certainly possible, which is why I don’t think some of the names mentioned here are off base.

Because of the timing, or because you don’t think he’s worth it? Or at least you don’t think he’s worth it to us?

1 hour ago, Philip said:

That sounds as if you are suggesting that Mike won’t be allowed to flip the switch for two years. Ug…

I don't know whether he is allowed to or not. It wouldn't be a good long term move for a rebuilding team to trade a high level prospect for two year of a guy, at least one of which will likely be wasted 

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The MLB Trade Rumours article mentions that the Reds are probably looking for a return package similar to what they got for Jose Berrios.  Two top 100 MLB prospects from the Blue Jays.

Edited by rudyrooster

12 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

The MLB Trade Rumours article mentions that the Reds are probably looking for a return package similar to what they got for Jose Berrios.  Two top 100 MLB prospects from the Blue Jays.

I guess it’s possible that they get that but I’m skeptical.  Coming off a 16 loss season with both ERA and FIP just under 4.

Peripherals are good though..has age and some service time.  I think they could get someone in the 50-100 area and another organizations top 5-10 guy.  

Berrios fetched a top 20 prospect (although I thin Martin is overrated) and another top 100 guy.  I don’t believe Castillo gets that but I do think he would get back more than I would pay.  

After thinking about it some, I will say that if you could get him for DL Hall and a guy like Bradish (ie a guy outside our top 10 but with upside), I would have to think about it.  I like Hall but that iffy future is sitting there.

He definitely could be a good OPACY pitcher.  The issue is just 2 more years of service time.  I think I would want an extension signed to trade a guy like Hall for him.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

That’s a hard no for me then. Orioles aren’t in a position to trade two top prospects for a player who could walk in free agency after two years. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't know whether he is allowed to or not. It wouldn't be a good long term move for a rebuilding team to trade a high level prospect for two year of a guy, at least one of which will likely be wasted 

Well I strongly feel that if he’s allowed to flip the switch we could contend next year. And without spending a billion dollars either.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Well I strongly feel that if he’s allowed to flip the switch we could contend next year. And without spending a billion dollars either.

As a fan, I would feel sorry for Mullins, Means, Mountcastle, Hays, etc. knowing they are looking at another 100+ loss season.  For heavens sake get these guys at least a little bit of help and hope.

7 hours ago, Philip said:

I'm on board with some free agent spending. I think a pitcher and budget 3B could get us close to .500. That might put us in position to start trading for veterans the following year. Until we have some real success, we need all the prospects we can get.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm on board with some free agent spending. I think a pitcher and budget 3B could get us close to .500. That might put us in position to start trading for veterans the following year. Until we have some real success, we need all the prospects we can get.

Are prospects guaranteed to be good and help the team long term?

This team just needs to get good players that can help for 3+ years.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-roster-dominos-start-to-fall-for-the-reds/

The Fangraphs write-up.   If Castillo, why not Mahle or Winker?

If the covid pinch and some years of extra spending for wildcards is affecting CIN like OAK, that's a nice complement to free agency for the other 27-28 clubs.   Suarez and Moustakas might enter that Hosmer zone where a prospect could be dangled to tempt someone with cash to pay those guy's salaries.    Sonny Gray is better than Miley, but probably wouldn't take a ton to acquire.

Poor Votto - franchise icon returns value on his 9-figure deal and this is still all he gets at the end.   He might make a fun Marlin or Brewer - nice fit for any teams that can pitch but not hit.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Of course not. That is why you need to maintain a large number at any given time until you have a competitive core. 

And the Os could deal some of them And still a large number of prospects, especially when you consider they get so many high picks coming up.