Tyler Wells: Starter or Reliever?

wildcard

After looking for starters all winter I expect the O's to come to a realization.   They probably have one in Tyler Wells.    I think they stretch him out in ST and he will be too good to put the pen.  

Baseball Savant shows he  has:

4 seam fastball at 95.2  with a .176 avg

Slider at 88.6 with a .197 avg

Change up at 88.4 with a .161 avg

Curve at 78.8 with a .250 avg

Though he will probably be great as a reliever the O's can add relievers cheaper than starters.   He looks like he has the pitches to be a starter which are much harder to attract to Camden Yards.

It’s got merit, but I’d keep him where he is. Primarily because he’s had Tommy John surgery, and finished 2021 with shoulder discomfort. Good closers are hard to find, and you can probably keep him off the IL more than if he has a starter’s innings. I remember feeling the same way about Britton for a while. 

11 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

It’s got merit, but I’d keep him where he is. Primarily because he’s had Tommy John surgery, and finished 2021 with shoulder discomfort. Good closers are hard to find, and you can probably keep him off the IL more than if he has a starter’s innings. I remember feeling the same way about Britton for a while. 

What if the O's add a FA veteran reliever this off season that can close?

The Orioles doctors and medical experts have a better idea than any of us do whether his arm can hold up to 100+ innings. I'm not going to second guess a decision either way. We.plenty of guys to audition in the rotation and holes to fill in the bullpen, so high leverage reliever is still a useful role for him.

I continue to oppose the idea of a “closer” in favor of “guys who can pitch reliably”

And the rays have shown that that is an entirely valid way of conducting business.

With that in mind, I think a truly forward-looking team would seek seven guys who can each throw 60 good pitches, or 3-5 innings. And remember, the better the defense, the fewer the pitches per inning. 

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I continue to oppose the idea of a “closer” in favor of “guys who can pitch reliably”

And the rays have shown that that is an entirely valid way of conducting business.

With that in mind, I think a truly forward-looking team would seek seven guys who can each throw 60 good pitches, or 3-5 innings. And remember, the better the defense, the fewer the pitches per inning. 

I think over time, teams will start employing a pitching staff of mostly middle to long relievers, with few true traditional starters.  Basically, most pitchers would be expected to pitch 2-3 innings (essentially one trip through the order).  Only geniune aces would ever pitch 6-7 innings.