Orioles looking to trade Means?

Sports Guy

I would hate to see Means gone but if we can get 4 half decent prospects ( I know... TINSTAAPP) for Dylan Bundy, what can we get for Means? 4 truly ML-ready guys?

The "problem" is Elias is shrewd and demanding. I doubt anyone is going to put up what he wants in return.

7 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Thats basically what I would want in return. Maybe a SS. But with Means struggling to pitch an entire season, we may need to move on early and get the best return 

And basically that's what Elias always wants, pitching, pitching, pitching, pitching.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I see the word dangling and I don't take it as testing the market.  I take it as actively shopping.

Sounds like another cost cutting move.

Meh, it’s the reporter’s choice of words, and I don’t make that much of it.   There’s a fine line between “testing the market” and “actively shopping.”   Either way you’re finding out what you could get in exchange for the player.

I will put the odds of Means being traded at 30%.    I’m sure his 2022 salary isn’t an issue, it’s a matter of whether what we’d get in exchange will help the O’s compete more than keeping Means would.  

Elias is telling you now that winning in 2022 still isn’t a priority.  They aren’t going to make moves.  Any improvement of the team Comes from within and that’s it.

So, you are now looking at 2024 as the first realistic season this team is a true contender.  Are you keeping Means (and Mullins for that matter) are for 2 more seasons just for that final one?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias is telling you now that winning in 2022 still isn’t a priority.  They aren’t going to make moves.  Any improvement of the team Comes from within and that’s it.

So, you are now looking at 2024 as the first realistic season this team is a true contender.  Are you keeping Means (and Mullins for that matter) are for 2 more seasons just for that final one?  

Ideally everyone arrives in 2023 and we compete for the WC2 spot. Everyone needs pitching. I have no problem flipping current assets for future assets that will actually be here when we are “good”. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn't read that Elias thinks winning is not a priority.  Just that he expects the improvement to come internally.   I am sure he will add a few low cost players like a back up catcher, 3B, lefthanded reliever and probably a starter.

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ideally everyone arrives in 2023 and we compete for the WC2 spot. Everyone needs pitching. I have no problem flipping current assets for future assets that will actually be here when we are “good”. 

It’s not going to work like that.  This is the fallacy of rebuilding.  You don’t just bring everyone up and say, we are here to win!  They have to develop and learn up here.  They have to have talent around them to succeed.  

Elias keeps selling the fan base on the idea that we have the first or second best farm system.  BFD!  You don’t win because of that.  You don’t get a trophy for that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not going to work like that.  This is the fallacy of rebuilding.  You don’t just bring everyone up and say, we are here to win!  They have to develop and learn up here.  They have to have talent around them to succeed.  

Elias keeps selling the fan base on the idea that we have the first or second best farm system.  BFD!  You don’t win because of that.  You don’t get a trophy for that.

But you get to keep your job because of that.