MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depends what concessions they get.   In any event I think any missed games will be a matter of days or weeks, not months.  

Are you guaranteeing that?

If the two sides are stupid enough to let this effect opening day, then they are probably stupid enough to let it go for  month(s).

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The players made about 4 billion dollars collectively in 2021.   With the contracts signed by the end of this off season that number should go up.     For each month they don't play during the season the players collective lose about 667 million dollars.   Is it worth it to not come to an agreement?

Somebody is running a model on future money vs current money. My guess is if they think they can make more in the future, current dollars, no matter how lucrative we think it is, doesn't matter. 

For reference, highest salary in 1996 was $9M+ to Cecil Fielder, 4 years later it was almost $16M to Kevin Brown. Team payroll shot up $30-40M and almost doubled between 1994 and 2000.

Edited by jarman86

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If the two sides are stupid enough to let this effect opening day, then they are probably stupid enough to let it go for  month(s).

I don't know if Frobby has any skin in the game to guarantee anything.  I'm assuming he doesn't.  

You're correct, if they're stupid enough to let this go on to affect opening day, they can let it go on for months.

Have you seen the leaders of the two sides?  I think you should start preparing for the worst.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The players made about 4 billion dollars collectively in 2021.   With the contracts signed by the end of this off season that number should go up.     For each month they don't play during the season the players collective lose about 667 million dollars.   Is it worth it to not come to an agreement?

The union may argue that over the long haul, yes it is.  The owners will be losing as well.  It's who blinks first.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't know if Frobby has any skin in the game to guarantee anything.  I'm assuming he doesn't.  

You're correct, if they're stupid enough to let this go on to affect opening day, they can let it go on for months.

Have you seen the leaders of the two sides?  I think you should start preparing for the worst.

I'm hoping the season starts by Memorial Day knowing the parties involved in the negotiations. I hope they don't screw this up and we get a half season of baseball in 2022. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

I’ve been meaning to ask something about this thread’s title for two weeks. What does “the Owners and Union Agree to Disagree” mean? If and when they do sign a new contract, we can be sure that each side will have agreed to something it hates.     Am I missing some nuance in the original question?

Wildcard thinks that the two sides will realize that they can't get a deal done this year and will agree to operate under the terms of the expired CBA in the 2022 season.

So they will agree that they won't agree to a deal.

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wildcard thinks that the two sides will realize that they can't get a deal done this year and will agree to operate under the terms of the expired CBA in the 2022 season.

So they will agree that they won't agree to a deal.

Pretty close.  

I think the two sides will realize that they far apart and can't find an agreement without impacting the season.   It will take more time to hammer out a 5 to 10 agreement.  And they will agree that they are in disagreement.   And decide to play the season under 2021 rules  while they find a way to work out a long term agreement.   That may include some sort of non binding mediation. 

This would be a way to find a long term agreement without impacting the revenue of the owners or the players.

Both sides may agree in the near term that the universal DH and expanded playoffs can be in effect in 2022. 

This is my guess.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I’m not guaranteeing anything.   I’m saying what I think is most likely if games are impacted.   We all know there were two prolonged work stoppages in the past, so it cannot be ruled out.   

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

The first thing the union insists upon in order to end a lockout is back wages. So when they finally come to an agreement the union is going to make sure that all the players get the money that they lost while not playing.

For me, the worst thing about all this is that nothing that should be addressed is going to be addressed. The minor leaguers need to be paid A living wage, but they’re not in the union so nothing that is being negotiated affects them at all, it’s just rich owners and rich players fighting over the bag of money, and they don’t care about a damn thing except that bag of money, so nothing will be done to fix any problems with the game or any problem with the unbalanced pay.

So whatever is done it won’t be what needs to be done.

Mainly, I want better broadcasters for the Orioles. Better TV people better radio people, Better play-by-play during the game, better camera work, better almost everything.

bring back Gary Thorne!

• Thanks 1

Curious about something I went to visit Wikipedia and found something interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLB_lockout

If this is accurate we've never had missed regular season games after a Lockout.

• Upvote 1