Trade Bait 2022

ScGO's

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think the O's will trade Santander, Lopez or Tate  at the deadline this season. Maybe in the future but not now.   The O's are just starting to put a winning team together.   I don't see why they would want to subtract players to be losers again.

Mancini is likely to be traded for prospects.  Hopefully pitching prospects.   That  would open a spot for Stowers who is ready for a try at the majors.

You are probably right about Tate and Lopez.  Not so sure about Santander.

I don't know the Phillies farm system, but Bryce Harper is going to be out for awhile after getting HBP yesterday. 

Phillies aren't great, but they are 2.5 games out of the NL Wildcard. If the Phillies are planning to compete for the playoffs, then there's a chance they will make a trade to bridge the gap during Harper's absence. 

Bryce Harper fractures thumb on 97 mph pitch from Blake Snell

Philadelphia Phillies star Bryce Harper left Saturday's game against the San Diego Padres after getting hit in his hands with a 97 mph fastball.

The Phillies later announced that he'd fractured his left thumb. He'll undergo further evaluation in the coming days.

Harper was hit during a fourth-inning at-bat against San Diego starter Blake Snell. Snell unleashed his 2-2 fastball up and in. Harper wasn't able to get out of the way. The ball hit Harper in his hands, and he immediately fell to the ground in pain.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

This holds water w/r/t Lopez but not Santander or Tate.  The Os have in house options to replace those guys and likely wouldn’t lose much.

Stowers replaces Mancini in the lineup. (Santander/Stowers/Mullins/Hays in the OF and DH).   Who replaces Santander?

Eight relievers.  Who replaces Tate?

I don't think that Tate is irreplaceable, relievers are highly variable anyways. The Orioles aren't going to win this year, if you can get a real prospect for Tate you trade him. Santander and Mancini are both on the trade block to me, although I would prefer to only trade one of them. If you trade both, you call up someone like Vavra, and with the DH you then have flexibility to give guys semi-days off

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Stowers replaces Mancini in the lineup. (Santander/Stowers/Mullins/Hays in the OF and DH).   Who replaces Santander?

Eight relievers.  Who replaces Tate?

Stowers isn’t a DH, so he replaces Santander.  Diaz could be in the mix if healthy.  Gunnar and Westburg also enter the mix and guys play DH.

As for another reliever…you can find that.  Not really concerned about that.

Hall may be that reliever btw.

I’m not really in favor of trading away a lot of talent unless we are getting legit prospects in return who will help us in the near term.  Mancini obviously needs to be moved rather than getting nothing for him at season’s end.   If anyone is interested in Lyles or Chirinos we can move them.  Everyone else is under control for at least two seasons after this one.  I’d be happy to let them contribute to a winning team next year.  

2 hours ago, seak05 said:

I don't think that Tate is irreplaceable, relievers are highly variable anyways. The Orioles aren't going to win this year, if you can get a real prospect for Tate you trade him. Santander and Mancini are both on the trade block to me, although I would prefer to only trade one of them. If you trade both, you call up someone like Vavra, and with the DH you then have flexibility to give guys semi-days off

Vavra is another good name to add to the list.  Either way, the Os have replacements.  Whether or not they come up and give us The production remains to be seen but we have the bodies and the upside to do it and quite frankly, it’s time to get these guys up here and let’s see what we have.

The return needs to be right for Santander. I’m fine holding onto him if they can’t get a good package/player back but opportunities to move him should be explored due to the organization’s surplus of outfielders. 

Mancini is the one who needs to go for whatever you can get. Offense is down and he’s having a productive season so you would think there would be some interest. 

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not really in favor of trading away a lot of talent unless we are getting legit prospects in return who will help us in the near term.  Mancini obviously needs to be moved rather than getting nothing for him at season’s end.   If anyone is interested in Lyles or Chirinos we can move them.  Everyone else is under control for at least two seasons after this one.  I’d be happy to let them contribute to a winning team next year.  

It's all about return, IMO. Hall's struggles and injuries to Means and Grayson are painful reminders how thin we are in pitching. We have a pipeline of outfielders. What if we could get a pitcher of equivalent value and as long or longer team control as Hays in a straight up deal? Would you say no to Logan Webb or Dylan Cease (who looked darn good today)? I'd rather have a rotation with Webb and try Diaz/Vavra/Haskin in the outfield (while waiting for Kjerstad and Cowser) rather than Hays in the OF with the rotation we have now. Or Sportsguy's Mullins deal for a top 50 pitcher like Meyer. I like Mullins and Hays both and happy to keep them but I also want to get the most value out of those OF's in the pipeline.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don't think Elias trades Lyles  at the deadline because he needs him to get through this season.    No use to have Adley, Hays, Mountcastle and the rest of the offense and pen and no one to start.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Elias trades Lyles  at the deadline because he needs him to get through this season.    No use to have Adley, Hays, Mountcastle and the rest of the offense and pen and no one to start.

I don't think Elias trades Lyes at the deadline because no one will want him.

His role is to eat innings on bad teams.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-jordan-lyles-knows-what-its-like-to-lose/

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

It's all about return, IMO. Hall's struggles and injuries to Means and Grayson are painful reminders how thin we are in pitching. We have a pipeline of outfielders. What if we could get a pitcher of equivalent value and as long or longer team control as Hays in a straight up deal? Would you say no to Logan Webb or Dylan Cease (who looked darn good today)? I'd rather have a rotation with Webb and try Diaz/Vavra/Haskin in the outfield (while waiting for Kjerstad and Cowser) rather than Hays in the OF with the rotation we have now. Or Sportsguy's Mullins deal for a top 50 pitcher like Meyer. I like Mullins and Hays both and happy to keep them but I also want to get the most value out of those OF's in the pipeline.

Go ahead. Trade for Cease.  I want to see you pull that one off.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Depends what he could get in a trade.  Winning this year is still secondary to improving for the future.  But, I agree that with the current state of the staff it’s not something we should do lightly.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Elias trades Lyes at the deadline because no one will want him.

His role is to eat innings on bad teams.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/sunday-notes-jordan-lyles-knows-what-its-like-to-lose/

I think a better way to think about this is that at this stage it is unlikely we would get an offer that would benefit us enough to make up for the cost of losing him.  His value to us is more than it is likely to be to anyone else.