Caleb Joseph on MLBTradeRumors Chat Now

NCRaven

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Adley's dad is a baseball coach.  His grandfather is a famous coach.  He's a hard working kid who isn't exactly a kid.

I think the idea that he needs a wily vet to take him under his wing is malarky.

I don’t think it’s going to make or break Adleys career obviously but I don’t see why having a veteran presence wouldn’t be viewed as a positive thing. 

Personally, I am not interested in Caleb Joseph these days. Great guy and all, and I wish him well. As far as veteran catchers being mentors, sure. I don’t think it has to be that way, but a vet can certainly help him adjust on a daily basis and prepare for each game. There are nuances to the game that a quality defender understands and can pass along on framing, game calling and just the general day to day handling of pitchers, their stuff, and their egos. Coaches can help with much of that, but there is some value to having a guy next to you who knows what you are going through. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Are Nottingham and Benboom likely to be better?   I can’t tell.   

I don’t know, probably. Nottingham, in particular, had a rough year being tossed around on taxi squads and waivers. Worth a shot to see, I guess. There are some other guys out there they may sign to a major league deal, but we’ll see. 

36 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Personally, I am not interested in Caleb Joseph these days. Great guy and all, and I wish him well. As far as veteran catchers being mentors, sure. I don’t think it has to be that way, but a vet can certainly help him adjust on a daily basis and prepare for each game. There are nuances to the game that a quality defender understands and can pass along on framing, game calling and just the general day to day handling of pitchers, their stuff, and their egos. Coaches can help with much of that, but there is some value to having a guy next to you who knows what you are going through. 

Adley is a better pitch framer than Caleb ever was.

13 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Having 50 plate appearances over the last 3 seasons is a pretty good sign that he’s no longer a Major League caliber player. 

Having 46 at bats over the last 3 seasons suggests to me that he wasn't as good a potential major league player as those he understudied for.

It's not like we have a MLB monster to back up Adley

If he can catch and hit .225 he's probably an option.

58 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Adley is a better pitch framer than Caleb ever was.

Sure, I’ll buy that. Caleb was a solid defender here, but I have no interest in him, as I said. The shot he took to his groin area still has me squirming.

The vets I was thinking about were Kurt Suzuki or Jeff Mathis. Someone like that. And there are several available in the trade market, post-lockout. These guys are not a necessity, but I think there is value in them for the reasons stated. 

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m not advocating that it’s important for Adley to have a player/mentor, but coaching amateur baseball doesn’t necessarily teach everything you need to know to prepare a player to succeed in the major leagues.   

Sure but it does mean he's got a great foundation and support group.

I think this whole grizzled veteran stuff is nonsense.

Adley has access to more support now than at any other time in history.  He doesn't need an involuntarily retired vet to show him the ropes.

I don't think it's nonsense, but it's probably not an absolute necessity either.  Not speaking of a involuntarily retired vet like Caleb.  But a legitimate veteran backup catcher would not just serve as a mentor, but as an actual piece to play catcher when AR rests, DH's or plays 1B.  Severino was not a good catcher and his backups were worse.

7 hours ago, owknows said:

Having 46 at bats over the last 3 seasons suggests to me that he wasn't as good a potential major league player as those he understudied for.

It's not like we have a MLB monster to back up Adley

If he can catch and hit .225 he's probably an option.

If he's willing to play for the major league minimum, he's definitely an option.

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure but it does mean he's got a great foundation and support group.

I think this whole grizzled veteran stuff is nonsense.

Adley has access to more support now than at any other time in history.  He doesn't need an involuntarily retired vet to show him the ropes.

Put it this way: I think it would be somewhat helpful for him to have an experienced veteran catcher to pair with.   That doesn’t mean I favor inserting somebody who isn’t a major league caliber backup anymore just to fill that role.   And I agree it’s likely that Caleb is no longer major league caliber.   If they wanted to bring him to camp on a MiL contract to compete with Benboom and Nottingham, I’d be fine with that, but I’d probably prefer they bring in someone a little better if they can find someone who costs very little.   

By the way, I’m interested to see what Benboom and Nottingham (not necessarily in that order) will bring to the table.   Neither has done much in their previous major link stints, but they both have fewer than 150 PA in the big leagues so it’s hard to draw any firm conclusions from that.