When will the O's compete for the Playoffs?

LookinUp

When will the O's Compete for the Playoffs?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. When will the O's Compete for the Playoffs?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/22 at 00:25

The 6th playoff spot is the game changer.  That’s probably going to be 83-87 wins in most years.

If you don’t believe we can get there by 2024, I don’t see how you can say you have any confidence in Elias, his plan or the players we already have.

You can’t believe in everything being done but feel this team is 3+ years away from winning 85 games.  It’s just not logical.

Usually get around 40ish% of the league winning 85+ games every year and a few more get to 83-84.

So I think 2023 we should be able to do that and definitely by 2024.  Plus, the schedule isn’t as unbalanced starting next year, which will help.

If it’s win the division, 2024 is likely the first realistic year where it’s possible.

31 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

After there is a change of Ownership   Has anyone figured out the W L record of the Orioles under the present owner?  

If my math is good (I had to try this several times), the O’s are 2007-2357 (.460) under the Angelos regime.   They were 3376-2962 (.533) under everyone else before PA took over.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If my math is good (I had to try this several times), the O’s are 2007-2357 (.460) under the Angelos regime.   They were 3376-2962 (.533) under everyone else before PA took over.   

But the number that really matters.

He bought the team for 173 M and it's currently valued at 1.43 B

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just curious: Is that .533 from 54-92?  Or does it count the Browns or previous manifestations of the Orioles?

I think we’re in an indefinite rebuild. I’d say we could be a sneaky good team in 2023 if some upper level prospects pan out alright and the organization put some effort in via free agency and trades. I don’t think that’s going to happen though. I think the rebuild lasts til 2026 or later only because there’s been no signs of life from Elias. Until he shows he is actually here to build a major league team then I just assume rebuild while the owners pad their pockets. 

You’d think I’d just stop watching baseball but I can’t

41 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Just curious: Is that .533 from 54-92?  Or does it count the Browns or previous manifestations of the Orioles?

Just 1954 forward.   It runs through 1993, as Angelos bought the team immediately following that season.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Do the sons have the authority to increase payroll?

You know I'm not privy to that information.

I believe that Peter isn't making any decisions in regards to the team.

I don't think that Georgia is making any decisions in regards to the team.

That would leave the sons.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know I'm not privy to that information.

I believe that Peter isn't making any decisions in regards to the team.

I don't think that Georgia is making any decisions in regards to the team.

That would leave the sons.

They’re operating as though they’re afraid to put any money into the team. To me, it just seems like nobody is willing/able to make the decision to substantially increase spending. The sons aren’t bringing their own money into the situation, and Peter is mostly generating his income from the team. I do wonder what they’re doing with this 50ish million they’re likely generating from the team each year. 

Pretty much impossible to answer without knowing how willing they are to add payroll.

If Rutschman, Rodriguez and Hall stay healthy and are as good as I expect them to be, I think we can be competitive in 2023.  But they're going to have to supplement the roster, particularly with additional pitching, at some point.

35 minutes ago, waroriole said:

They’re operating as though they’re afraid to put any money into the team. To me, it just seems like nobody is willing/able to make the decision to substantially increase spending. The sons aren’t bringing their own money into the situation, and Peter is mostly generating his income from the team. I do wonder what they’re doing with this 50ish million they’re likely generating from the team each year. 

To me they are just pulling as much money out of the team as they can. 

I think they *can* increase spending but they'd rather maximize yearly income.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me they are just pulling as much money out of the team as they can. 

I think they *can* increase spending but they'd rather maximize yearly income.

Yeah there’s obviously much more revenue, just from national and local tv contracts, than expenses. I just wonder if that money is going to Peter and he hasn’t given anyone the authority to spend his money. 

I've been on board with everything the last few years but they are losing me quickly.  Everything about this offseason has been negative.  They needed to spend real money this FA period and didn't even try.  I don't see the Orioles winning any time soon.  There is no indication they even want to.