Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-matt-blood-on-the-some-of-the-farm-success-this-season?fbclid=IwAR2KrNP2lNjkD7bFfFozDVzdQT4UY1De9TQpRjpXf1C_57FcL1IuWjKh03Y

On a few other topics: Blood said he does not expect to see top pitching prospect Grayson Rodriguez go to the Arizona Fall League to add innings after missing some time this year. The Orioles have a current group of seven headed to play for Scottsdale in the AFL beginning on Oct. 3. They include pitchers Noah Denoyer, Nolan Hoffman, Nick Richmond and Easton Lucas and position players Heston Kjerstad, Cesar Prieto and Reed Trimble. The O’s could make adjustments to that group, but are not likely to do so as of now.

10 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

If he skips the Arizona Fall League, how does he build innings to be starter next year? He’s at 75 innings.

I think they’d rather him get a full regular off season and be fresh for spring training.  Imagine they will give him 100-125 ip next year.  They won’t let him go full bore for at least another year.  

17 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I think they’d rather him get a full regular off season and be fresh for spring training.  Imagine they will give him 100-125 ip next year.  They won’t let him go full bore for at least another year.  

He pitched 103 last year.  So an ideal season would have him at 125-140 this year.  Understand he didn't get there, but wouldn't you like to try to get 150 out of him next year so he's still there for stretch run/postseason assuming that's needed?  How do you make that feasible?

25 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

He pitched 103 last year.  So an ideal season would have him at 125-140 this year.  Understand he didn't get there, but wouldn't you like to try to get 150 out of him next year so he's still there for stretch run/postseason assuming that's needed?  How do you make that feasible?

What I'm afraid they're going to do is start him at Norfolk so they can manage his innings there, and then bring him up once they've reached the point in the season where he can pitch the rest of the way without limits. 

43 minutes ago, btownoriole said:

What I'm afraid they're going to do is start him at Norfolk so they can manage his innings there, and then bring him up once they've reached the point in the season where he can pitch the rest of the way without limits. 

Why does that make you afraid?

2 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Norfolk is a pretty scary place.

I assume the 'fear' he is talking about is that it wastes his innings at AAA to the detriment of the big league club.

There's plenty of other ways you can manage that.  Like piggybacking with Akin/Wells on his starts for the first 10 or so.  We should have both guys on our big league roster next season anyways.

You can also do like the M's did with Kirby and send him down for a month around the All Star break, have him stay sharp in some 2 inning stints, but not go 5+.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Norfolk is a pretty scary place.

I assume the 'fear' he is talking about is that it wastes his innings at AAA to the detriment of the big league club.

Resisting urge to make joke about the Navy.

I can understand there are going to be different POV on the best way to manage his workload next year, but I think fearing that he starts in AAA and is slowly ramped up so he can be available to pitch throughout the whole season, is pretty silly.

I also think it is the mostly likely outcome, and don't have a problem with it.

1 hour ago, MarCakes21 said:

There's plenty of other ways you can manage that.  Like piggybacking with Akin/Wells on his starts for the first 10 or so.  We should have both guys on our big league roster next season anyways.

You can also do like the M's did with Kirby and send him down for a month around the All Star break, have him stay sharp in some 2 inning stints, but not go 5+.

Grayson Rodriguez is going to pitch in the Major Leagues next year, whether he makes some tune up starts in AAA or not.

39 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Grayson Rodriguez is going to pitch in the Major Leagues next year, whether he makes some tune up starts in AAA or not.

Of course, never said he wasn't.  Just thinking out loud on how to manage his innings at the big league level if you have a cap of say ~150.