Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

20 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I feel like he’s basically going through spring training again. Hasn’t regained the feel for pitching yet, but I assume he will.

Well, he may not be regaining that this year, so when does he?  Do they wait for him to regain that feel in AAA?  They shouldn’t but they could.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, he may not be regaining that this year, so when does he?  Do they wait for him to regain that feel in AAA?  They shouldn’t but they could.

I see it this way: every pitcher comes into spring training rusty.  Some of them regain their feel quickly, others take a while.  So we’ll see how Rodriguez fares compared to the other pitchers competing for spots.  It won’t be like this year where spring training was compressed and Grayson had one short unimpressive outing and was sent to MiL camp.  I think he’ll get as many innings as anybody else through the third week of March and then we’ll see where he is.

His rehab hasn’t been all bad.  He’s carrying a 14.1 K/9 and opponents have a .589 OPS against him.   It’s just the walks (11 in 14.2 IP).   Historically that’s not a problem for him and I’m sure he will straighten that out by next spring.  

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Are we resigned to him not getting called up this year?

Depends.  Let’s say he pitches really well in his outing this Monday and Spenser Watkins gets bombed.  You might see Grayson then. But if he has another 3-4 inning outing with a bunch of walks, or if Watkins gives us a decent outing, then I don’t think you’ll see him.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depends.  Let’s say he pitches really well in his outing this Monday and Spenser Watkins gets bombed.  You might see Grayson then. But if he has another 3-4 inning outing with a bunch of walks, or if Watkins gives us a decent outing, then I don’t think you’ll see him.  

I think Elias has already made the decision.

On 9/24/2022 at 2:50 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know.

But I don't think that Elias is going to base a promotion and a 40 man roster slot over one start.

Does he have to go on the 40 man this year? If so, I can see him getting called up. If not, at this point, I'm only promoting him if we can make the playoffs and he can help us. The odds are so low of that happening that I just don't think it's worth losing the 40 man spot just to give him a cup of coffee.

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Does he have to go on the 40 man this year? If so, I can see him getting called up. If not, at this point, I'm only promoting him if we can make the playoffs and he can help us. The odds are so low of that happening that I just don't think it's worth losing the 40 man spot just to give him a cup of coffee.

Yes, he does need to be added to the 40-man this winter.

• Thanks 1