Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If he is healthy coming out of the ST I think he is in the O's rotation.    He should run out of innings about he same time as Means is ready.

Doesn't it make more sense to get some innings out of him in August and September, presumably in a year we're competing for the playoffs, than "waste" them in the first half?

2 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Of course, never said he wasn't.  Just thinking out loud on how to manage his innings at the big league level if you have a cap of say ~150.

That's fine.  And I'm just saying if the decision to do that involves starting him in AAA next year, it isn't the end of the world and makes a lot of sense.

45 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Doesn't it make more sense to get some innings out of him in August and September, presumably in a year we're competing for the playoffs, than "waste" them in the first half?

Do wins count more in the second half?  

If he’s looking like one of our five best, I’d put him in the OD rotation.   Worry about managing his innings as the season goes along and we see how it’s going.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Do wins count more in the second half?  

If he’s looking like one of our five best, I’d put him in the OD rotation.   Worry about managing his innings as the season goes along and we see how it’s going.   

Wins count more in October.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Only if you win enough in the season to be playing in October.   

Surely.  But I'd like the option to have Grayson be available in such a situation rather than throw all his innings by the All-Star break, shutting him down, and replacing him with Means.

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Surely.  But I'd like the option to have Grayson be available in such a situation rather than throw all his innings by the All-Star break, shutting him down, and replacing him with Means.

I think there are ways to manage around that.   But I don’t think it helps the team get to October by not using him in April or May.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think there are ways to manage around that.   But I don’t think it helps the team get to October by not using him in April or May.

Sure.  We could start him in AAA.  We could shut him down in the middle of the season for a period of time.  We could slowly ramp him up in the bigs.  We could couple him with someone and use him much as Wells was this season.  There are a bunch of different options.  Personally, depending on the offseason acquisitions and spring training performances, I would probably ramp him up in April in AAA.  But that's just me.

But I was responding to the idea that we simply pitch him regularly from the start of the season and then just shut him down in July and replace him with Means.  To me, that's the worst option, and a virtual non-starter.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Sure.  We could start him in AAA.  We could shut him down in the middle of the season for a period of time.  We could slowly ramp him up in the bigs.  We could couple him with someone and use him much as Wells was this season.  There are a bunch of different options.  Personally, depending on the offseason acquisitions and spring training performances, I would probably ramp him up in April in AAA.  But that's just me.

But I was responding to the idea that we simply pitch him regularly from the start of the season and then just shut him down in July and replace him with Means.  To me, that's the worst option, and a virtual non-starter.

Yeah, I don’t think that’s likely.  Personally, I’d figure out a way to keep him on the roster all year, assuming he’s healthy and pitching well.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I don’t think that’s likely.  Personally, I’d figure out a way to keep him on the roster all year, assuming he’s healthy and pitching well.

Personally, I want him able to pitch at full strength in Sept. and Oct. of next year.  That's why I would start him off slowly next year and wouldn't do it in the majors because it would be harder to incorporate onto a roster that was trying to win games.  TBH, much as they planned on using him this year would be by model for next year.

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

It’s gonna be real ugly when they say he needs to work on some stuff in Norfolk to start next year. 

Yep.   I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes the OD roster.    Verducci Effect or not, the benefit for the Club if it can acquire control of his 2029 is large.     Grayson Rodriguez's 2022 platform has not been enough for Mike Elias to plan to pitch him 26 weeks or 33 starts in MLB in 2023.     The rest is just a question of asset management.

Pittsburgh Roansy Contreras is a talented young pitcher maybe close to Grayson's ballpark, has been the 100-loss Pirates second best starter this year by ERA+, and was optioned back to AAA yesterday like he was Nick Vespi or something.   There's a chicken-egg game with SP's building up to take the full Jordan Lyles complement, and Clubs "protecting their best interests" by looking out for them.   And then, the meta-game where the MATH doesn't make sense for anyone except maybe 10 guys per league to take the full Jordan Lyles complement.

It isn't that Grayson Rodriguez isn't as awesome as Gunnar Henderson...he just isn't ramped up enough.   And competitively, you aren't maximizing the roster well enough on a daily basis if "tired Grayson Rodriguez" gets one of your 13 precious spots that day.

In terms of what the 2023 Orioles will be, I hope they use him straight out of the gate, and start tinkering with load management if being the 6th best or better team in the league looks likely after a few months.   But I don't think that's what will happen.     The Mariners Logan Gilbert and George Kirby cases this year are decent analogs, and curious to see what they have left for this month.

30 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Yep.   I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes the OD roster.    Verducci Effect or not, the benefit for the Club if it can acquire control of his 2029 is large.     Grayson Rodriguez's 2022 platform has not been enough for Mike Elias to plan to pitch him 26 weeks or 33 starts in MLB in 2023.     The rest is just a question of asset management.

How'd that work out with Adley?

Elias should be angling for the extra draft picks.