Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

I hope so.    I like that it pairs with at Fenway and at Yankee Stadium before the 162 runs out.     Any jitters warming up in those bullpens, being in those edifices, now is when those butterflies can be encountered without hurting the Playoff Odds.

He could end up pitching to Aaron Judge three times at a moment Judge is on some interesting number of HR.

Grayson is back on the bump tonight for Norfolk. He could make one more start after tonight with Norfolk before their season ends plus another potential start with the O's. Would rather he make two starts with the O's, but we will see what happens.

26 pitch first inning with a walk and 2 hits allowed along with two strikeouts.

Throws 83 pitches but can’t get out of the 4th.  Struck out 7 but walked 3, gave up 6 hits and 2 runs so far.  3.2 IP.

Norfolk scored 10 runs in 2 innings, so he may have had to sit for a while.  Not sure how much that threw him off but it’s not like he had a great first inning.

His str% was 63.8%

Edited by Sports Guy

It'll be interesting to watch the expectations setting get started.    The simple fact is, Verducci rule debunking notwithstanding, the Orioles won't let him throw 32 starts next year even if his health would cooperate enough to make that possible.    

If you aren't going to use a player for a year of service, the straightforward asset management angles gain weight, and its just how will you explain it.

Having passed the easy entry tonight, I'd be a little surprised if they chose to let him open with BOS, NYY or TOR.    If one more AAA turn is all there is, they'll say he's "full go" but I'd guess he won't be on the same schedule as Kremer, T. Wells or any established Starting Pitcher to be named later come February.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Officially charged with 3 runs after an inherited runner scores.

I would bring him up but he really hasn’t been good since coming back from the injury.  

He’s looked like DL Hall. Walks and pitch counts elevated, tons of K’s.   

I’m ambivalent about bringing him up, but in any event I’d have him make his next start in AAA.

I've watched a few of GRod's starts this year and I see the plus changeup at times and the high velocity fastball.   It concerns me that I have never really seen a consistently plus looking slider or curveball.   It seems like he hardly throws anything other than the fastball and changeup.    ??

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Gotta wonder if these struggles are enough for the Os to hold him back from being on the OD roster.

Depends how he looks in spring training.  I wouldn’t necessarily hand him a job, but if he’s back at his usual levels, I’d just bring him on.