Grayson Rodriguez 2022

justD

13 hours ago, justD said:

What I saw was a little shaky in the first inning, trouble locating. Second and third innings much sharper. Every pitch - curveball, breaking ball in the dirt, high fastball - was going right where he wanted them to. When he wasn’t getting them to swing and miss, he was inducing weak grounders or high popups.

Saw him face Avisail Garcia, a very large presence at the plate compared to the others. Gave up a single and a walk but it felt like success against him. 

Fourth inning he walked the first two but then got sharp again, no issues  

The fifth started with another ground ball out but then right away was that homerun to left. He followed that by giving up a single and then a walk. This third walk tied his season high for a game. There was a mound visit and he returned to getting the next two guys to chase out of the zone to finish the outing.

Not clean but limited the damage to just that one run over five. 

Thanks for this. I was in fourth row watching him pitch, but had I typed or taken notes, I'd have had my head down the and missed most of it! It's why I've sort of given up on the game threads. More typing than viewing. 

I did notice that he works very quickly, which I enjoy seeing. As for Garcia, he was the embodiment of the human rain delay. Took forever getting settled in the batter's box. And took a stance so far out of the on deck circle than McSweeney complained to the ump late in the game that he was only yards from the current batter. Very annoying. 

zGhbdGK.jpg

Edited by NashLumber
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The way things have shaken out, I don’t think the Orioles will or should call up Grayson to make one start for the Orioles.   It’s not worth using the 40-man  roster spot.  I’m glad he was finally able to get back to throwing 5 innings.

I thought he had to be protected this offseason regardless? Either way I agree with you.  Plus who knows maybe he gets a blister in spring training and needs to wait a few extra weeks to be called up next year? :) 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The way things have shaken out, I don’t think the Orioles will or should call up Grayson to make one start for the Orioles.   It’s not worth using the 40-man  roster spot.  I’m glad he was finally able to get back to throwing 5 innings.

He has to be added to the 40-man roster in December anyway.

I will be attending the last three games of the year and if the O's are eliminated, I would rather see him out there getting his feet wet than any other pitcher.

The 3-5 days of service time aren't going to be a game changer. He is almost certainly penciled in for a rotation spot in spring training, and if he blows that opportunity by pitching terribly in spring training, he will almost certainly need more than 3 weeks in AAA in April to get another chance.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

He has to be added to the 40-man roster in December anyway.

I will be attending the last three games of the year and if the O's are eliminated, I would rather see him out there getting his feet wet than any other pitcher.

The 3-5 days of service time aren't going to be a game changer. He is almost certainly penciled in for a rotation spot in spring training, and if he blows that opportunity by pitching terribly in spring training, he will almost certainly need more than 3 weeks in AAA in April to get another chance.

I’d forgotten he had to be on the 40-man anyway.  In that case, i wouldn’t mind calling him up, though I doubt it will happen.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d forgotten he had to be on the 40-man anyway.  In that case, i wouldn’t mind calling him up, though I doubt it will happen.  

I think you may have been correct before tonight's pitching blowup.  I think it will depend on how they make out the last two against the Red Sox.