Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

30 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

He seems a little on the thin side - does he have room to gain weight without losing the ability to man centerfield?

He looks plenty strong to me right now.  He's kind of lanky but he's not weak from the looks of it.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Seems to me like they need to tear down Aberdeen and rebuild something better.

1/2 kidding

Why?  It works great.  As soon as the hitters get out of there they start tearing the cover off the ball.   LOL

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Seems to me like they need to tear down Aberdeen and rebuild something better.

1/2 kidding

I was having a conversation with myself last night about Jackson Holliday and his intent to get to the bigs in two years and Elias saying checking the boxes, won't be without bumps, etc etc. Anyways, that conversation with myself played out the conversation between Mike and Jackson as he was heading to Aberdeen. I bet Elias actually likes the Aberdeen black hole. Show me you can see good pitches and barrel the ball well when nothing wants to fall in and you hit .180 for a month and you don't change your approach or swing decisions and don't press when things aren't going your way. You hit for a crap average while still doing all those things and we'll move you up regardless of results.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

I was having a conversation with myself last night about Jackson Holliday and his intent to get to the bigs in two years and Elias saying checking the boxes, won't be without bumps, etc etc. Anyways, that conversation with myself played out the conversation between Mike and Jackson as he was heading to Aberdeen. I bet Elias actually likes the Aberdeen black hole. Show me you can see good pitches and barrel the ball well when nothing wants to fall in and you hit .180 for a month and you don't change your approach or swing decisions and don't press when things aren't going your way. You hit for a crap average while still doing all those things and we'll move you up regardless of results.

So Aberdeen as a way to teach them how to fail 😂

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

So Aberdeen as a way to teach them how to fail 😂

Or not to press and spiral when things aren't going your way. Stay the course. Then get to Bowie and be a stud a la Cowser. Just to circle this back to the reason this thread exists 😉

It'll happen in the bigs too. Be ready to experience adversity. Check that box.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Weird thing is I don't really remember Aberdeen being like this. But all of a sudden no one but Darrell Hernaiz can hit there. 

Prieto dominated at Aberdeen (looking like a legit prospect) and has since struggled alot in Bowie. 

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Was at the game today and Cowser looks really comfortable at the plate. Every thing seems to be coming off his bat as a line drive.

It’s been less than 30 games, do you think it’s legit, not him riding a wave of a hot strike? Do you feel he has 20 hour potential?

56 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

It’s been less than 30 games, do you think it’s legit, not him riding a wave of a hot strike? Do you feel he has 20 hour potential?

He's definitely has 20 homer potential. He's go the raw power and has really gotten into a few. Today he just reached out and lined a few up the middle, but I've seen some 420+ homers from him.

• Upvote 3

Once again, Meoli provides some of the best inside info on how/why these prospects are having success. In his previous newsletter, he detailed some reasons why Ortiz was having newfound success. Today it's Cowser. As we kind of suspected, they challenged him early with a new approach, but then he started mixing in the approach that got him here. It seems there's now a hybrid approach that's working well.

“He’s done a good job of going both ways as far as taking care of what he needs to take care of — that’s his process — and then kind of letting us challenge him a little bit more, see different kinds of shapes, things we do behind the scenes with the dimple balls, machine or arm,” Bowie hitting coach Branden Becker said. “It’s kind of a give-and-take thing. He knows what he needs to take care of, and then it’s kind of meeting in the middle ground as far as needing both and knowing when to challenge him. He’s done a good job with that, and he’s having a lot of fun, and it’s showing.”

When it came down to it, I was having really good swing decisions but on the counterpart of it, I was swinging, but I wasn’t hitting the ball,” Cowser said. “I was walking a lot, but I was also striking out still. So for me, it kind of turned into early count, I was just trying to really see-ball, hit-ball, and react to balls in the zone – even if they’re a little bit off. I can still manage them.”

Part of that change in plan came with clearance from the organization. Aberdeen hitting coach Zach Cole said it’s common for first-year players to need more of a balance between what got them there and what the organization provides, and that was what happened with Cowser. One of them came on the organization’s swing decision evaluations.

Cole said: “Cowser has that ability where he can hit just about anything anywhere. He’s got an elite eye, but he knows he can take those pitches and with him, taking those pitches can make him a little bit passive at times. Just allowing him to be the guy that he was — and be able to swing at a little more pitches, even if it created some that weren’t quite in our ‘damage zone,’ and just allowing him to be the hitter-ish guy at the same time. That’s a blend of, we still control the zone, but also, maybe his swing decision zone might be a little bit bigger just because he has the ability to do that.”

• Thanks 2