Orioles option DJ Stewart

Legend_Of_Joey

5 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I'd like to see Stewart get an extended chance. I think there's a hitter there.

I don't think that scattered PA or even a few weeks of consistent PA is a fair way to judge a hitter no matter how bad they look. Look at Adley as an example. You either give them an extended chance no matter the results or you don't bother with them. I don't think DJ has really gotten that extended chance. 

I’d like to see Stewart get a chance, but not necessarily with us.   We have too many options that are much better defensively and potentially better offensively.   But I do root for the guy and think he might succeed in the right situation.  

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d like to see Stewart get a chance, but not necessarily with us.   We have too many options that are much better defensively and potentially better offensively.   But I do root for the guy and think he might succeed in the right situation.  

Dunno. It would be amazing if Mancini could get on a bit of a hot streak and we could sell him off and allow Stewart to play from August to September at least with consistent ABs. 

In my ideal world Mullins starts hitting like last season and we can sell him off in the winter, which opens up an OF space for Stowers while we give Mancini's ABs to Stewart (with Santander, I just feel like there's more potential there still, and we might be selling a little bit low if we sell him this summer, but I am no expert, and that's total gut instinct based on basically nothing). 

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is kind of the way I feel about Stewart. Seems like a good guy, but to think that he projects as an everyday outfielder on a competitive team seems unreasonable. I've read the arguments that he's never had consistent AB's, and while true, that's the life of a 4th/5th outfielder. He's failed in that role. We've got too many other options of guys who've got far better tools than Stewart. 

6 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

This is kind of the way I feel about Stewart. Seems like a good guy, but to think that he projects as an everyday outfielder on a competitive team seems unreasonable. I've read the arguments that he's never had consistent AB's, and while true, that's the life of a 4th/5th outfielder. He's failed in that role. We've got too many other options of guys who've got far better tools than Stewart. 

His passive approach at the plate isn't what you ideally look for in a pinch hitter.  If Mancini and Santander aren't on the team then Stewart would be in competition with Diaz and Vavra for ABs.  

Stewart turns 29 in November and the Orioles removed him from the 40 man roster. Barring a major disaster of epic proportions, Stewart's chance to play for the Orioles has passed. He will probably sign a minor league deal with a team in the offseason and compete for a fourth outfielder spot with another team next spring. I guess he could end up with the Tides next spring if no other team signs him. But he'll be a 29 year old outfielder who was a bit defensively challenged even when he was younger. 

4 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Stewart turns 29 in November and the Orioles removed him from the 40 man roster. Barring a major disaster of epic proportions, Stewart's chance to play for the Orioles has passed. He will probably sign a minor league deal with a team in the offseason and compete for a fourth outfielder spot with another team next spring. I guess he could end up with the Tides next spring if no other team signs him. But he'll be a 29 year old outfielder who was a bit defensively challenged even when he was younger. 

He's got to be a 6 year minor league FA this coming offseason if he's not on the 40 man roster.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He's got to be a 6 year minor league FA this coming offseason if he's not on the 40 man roster.

He’s not on the 40 man now. I don’t think I was clear enough…if he’s back in Norfolk next year, then it’s because he signs a minor league deal with the Orioles before spring training. 

• 3 weeks later...

No, it really wouldn't be.  Not sure how a .204 BA along with an OPS under .700 (all based on last years numbers) would be useful, especially when he is a liability in the field.  The bat simply isn't good enough to justify having him on the team.  At least some of the others who are struggling with the bat (Mateo, Chirinos, etc) are providing something with their gloves.  Admittedly Odor and Nevin should be cut/demoted, but even if they are Stewart isn't the answer for a replacement for them.

8 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

No, it really wouldn't be.  Not sure how a .204 BA along with an OPS under .700 (all based on last years numbers) would be useful, especially when he is a liability in the field.  The bat simply isn't good enough to justify having him on the team.  At least some of the others who are struggling with the bat (Mateo, Chirinos, etc) are providing something with their gloves.  Admittedly Odor and Nevin should be cut/demoted, but even if they are Stewart isn't the answer for a replacement for them.

ST for Nevin.