Statement from John Angelos

Aglets

Is this being discussed somewhere that I missed?     I'm a little surprised that I haven't been able to find it since yesterday.   Seems like pretty big news.

He talks about a timeline for the rebuild and about investing over $1B in the "Camden Yards Sports Complex."

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-chairman-ceo-john-angelos-statement

Sorry if this is a double post.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I hadn’t seen this anywhere, but really it’s just a PR piece marking the 30th anniversary of the stadium.  Actions speak louder than words.  When they sign a new lease, and start winning more games and acquiring talent by spending money, I will be more interested in what John Angelos has to say.   

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I hadn’t seen this anywhere, but really it’s just a PR piece marking the 30th anniversary of the stadium.  Actions speak louder than words.  When they sign a new lease, and start winning more games and acquiring talent by spending money, I will be more interested in what John Angelos has to say.   

Agreed it is a PR piece.  But i think the state legislature passing the funding bill is still big news.   If nothing else that would suggest to me they really plan to keep the team here for a long time.   I'm sure some folks pushing the Nashville rumors will keep finding angles to push it...........but meh.  

Also I felt the 4-5 year timeline he mentioned was interesting.  That is something Elias never said (and would never say) in public.

Agreed, definitely a PR piece... but struck me as a particularly well written one. Appears to be speaking to the general public but also fans with some knowledge of the rebuild. And would the legislature be dumb enough to contribute that amount of funding without any assurances that the club is staying? Wait, don't answer that...

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

WHAT?    You are thumbing your nose at the 1.2B that the Maryland legislature just passed to turn Camden Yard into  a Sports Complex.  A Complex designed and committed to by the O's ownership and management.   I'd say 1.2B is not something to be overlooked.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Agreed it is a PR piece.  But i think the state legislature passing the funding bill is still big news.   If nothing else that would suggest to me they really plan to keep the team here for a long time.   I'm sure some folks pushing the Nashville rumors will keep finding angles to push it...........but meh.  

Also I felt the 4-5 year timeline he mentioned was interesting.  That is something Elias never said (and would never say) in public.

The public funding bill is very notable, and it may be that the lease negotiations have been on hold awaiting this legislation and discussion of how and when some of the funding will be spent. So, from an O’s fan perspective, it’s good that the bill is now law.   Now the ball is in the Angelos family’s court.   

I love that fact that finally a timeline has been given on what the rebuild expectation time would be. He said they expected 4-5 years. That gives us an idea of how much of a lease Elias has. It gives us a time of when we should expect the MLB club to start to be really competitive. He did mention one minor league season lost, so I guess that extends one more year. So I would say 2024-2025 is when they are expecting us to be really good again. All of that is assuming the plan works, the drafting, trading, developing, etc...

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

WHAT?    You are thumbing your nose at the 1.2B that the Maryland legislature just passed to turn Camden Yard into a a Sports Complex.  A Complex designed and committed to by the O's ownership and management.   I'd say 1.2B is not something to be overlooked.

See my post immediately above.  To be clear, this bill authorized borrowing by the MSA relating to both the Orioles and Ravens stadiums and the area in between.   No complex has been designed or committed to.   The Angelos family has committed to nothing.   They have a 2 year lease and a unilateral option to extend it for five years.   That’s no commitment at all on their part.   That’s leverage.  

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

I love that fact that finally a timeline has been given on what the rebuild expectation time would be. He said they expected 4-5 years. That gives us an idea of how much of a lease Elias has. It gives us a time of when we should expect the MLB club to start to be really competitive. He did mention one minor league season lost, so I guess that extends one more year. So I would say 2024-2025 is when they are expecting us to be really good again. All of that is assuming the plan works, the drafting, trading, developing, etc...

That’s not what he said.  The 4-5 years allegedly was the expected timeline for rebuilding the minor league system.  He said nothing about how long it was expected to take to translate that into a contending major league club.  

Considering I have never been worried about moving to Nashville, this post meant nothing to me.  We already knew about the 1.2B going for OPACY and M&T, so that’s new info either.

Its PR mouthpiece bs designed to distract people from the awful product.  Window dressing and nothing more.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s not what he said.  The 4-5 years allegedly was the expected timeline for rebuilding the minor league system.  He said nothing about how long it was expected to take to translate that into a contending major league club.  

Yeah. I was perfectly fine with the piece as written, even the part about being a small market. What I wasn't fine with was the content it didn't include at the end. Nothing at all about winning. 

It's not what he said. It's what he didn't say.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sorry, maybe I read too much into it. I assumed if the minor league system is fully rebuilt, the MLB team would start winning more. 

On a more serious note... this is an awesome statement...  reaffirms the prospect of a bright future in which the club is devoted to building a sustainable contender...  and hopefully will put to rest some of continuous negative droning from Eeyore, Droopy, And those two old farts in the Muppet Balcony.  (at least for awhile).