The LF wall tracker

OsEatAlEast

17 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I did not state that it was statistically significant. I merely posted a tweet about the new LF dimensions on a message board because I thought it was of some interest given that we only have one month of data regarding the new LF dimensions. I didn’t say that 1 month of data means that the team should move LF back to its prior dimensions (no need to lawyer me by explaining that it’s actually less significant because team has only played 9 games at home or 11.11% of its home schedule). The LF field dimensions are similar to PNC, which ranks 28th in HRs since 2017 (which can be afforded whatever statistical weight you desire). I don’t know where it will end up, but bottom 5 in the league would not be shocking to me.

I didn’t mean to be attacking you or putting words in your mouth.  If my post came off that way, I apologize.  

I just feel like this sample is not only small, but it comes from an atypical part of the season.   I want to see how the ball carries in the hotter months.   I also feel like there haven’t been too many homers yet even in the parts of the ballpark that are more hitter friendly, and those homers will come.   That’s why I feel that OPACY won’t end up near the very bottom.  I do think LF will be a tough place to hit homers.   

• Thanks 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I of course have no issues with honoring Elrod but I'm at a bit of a loss why that would be more appropriate than any other name.

Elrod was with the O's forever.  The new left field wall is adjacent to the bullpen.  Makes sense to me.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Elrod was with the O's forever.  The new left field wall is adjacent to the bullpen.  Makes sense to me.

Like I said I have no issue at all with it.

I just don't think Left Field corner when I think about Elrod.  Or OPACY for that matter.

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like I said I have no issue at all with it.

I just don't think Left Field corner when I think about Elrod.  Or OPACY for that matter.

It’s because he was the bullpen coach and the bullpen is on the other side of the wall.  

1. “Elrod’s corner” is amazing.  I had seats in 84 for a decade + and frankly there is no better name.  He was always there.

2. It was inevitable someone was going to sprint, on a sharply hit ball, into the corner.  While dangerous it was an exciting play. 

3. I like the new set-up currently and enjoy the change in the game.  

4. They can always make an easy adjustment with current set up, if it turns out to be too extreme, and put in a shorter fence. 

Odors triple is probably exactly what Elias envisioned when he made that bullpen 90 degree angle. The LF ran right into the angle and stopped allowing the ball to hit almost directly on the angle and shoot inwards about 30 feet. I made a post about this scenario doubting it would happen ever or at most once per decade.

• Upvote 1