Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

53 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Does he have to be on the team by 8/31 to qualify for the post season roster?  

No, so long as there is a player in the organization on the 60-day IL that he can be deemed to have replaced.

It is a common loophole for playoff teams to get a recent callup (or Terrance Gore) on the playoff roster.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There will be things for him to work on his whole career but apparently he can only work on things in AAA.  

Adley is struggling vs lefties.  Maybe he should be sent back down to work on that?

Dude, I literally said I’d be fine with him being promoted. Adley also hit LH just fine last year. 

It’s fine to want to see hm promoted, but it’s also fine to acknowledge he’s not a finished product, and he even might (probably will) struggle offensively at the start.

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Dude, I literally said I’d be fine with him being promoted. Adley also hit LH just fine last year. 

It’s fine to want to see hm promoted, but it’s also fine to acknowledge he’s not a finished product, and he even might (probably will) struggle offensively at the start.

It’s the last part that I have an issue with.  Of course he’s not a finished product.  He may never be one and he certainly isn’t going to become a finished product in the minors.  That excuse alone is a poor one.  It shouldn’t even be mentioned imo.  

People expect way too much perfection from these guys before they come up.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s the last part that I have an issue with.  Of course he’s not a finished product.  He may never be one and he certainly isn’t going to become a finished product in the minors.  That excuse alone is a poor one.  It shouldn’t even be mentioned imo.  

People expect way too much perfection from these guys before they come up.

Then why ever have anyone in the minor league’s if the idea isn’t that they’re working on developing. 

You are essentially saying we should never consider what a player needs to work on, and even mentioning it is an “excuse”

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Then why ever have anyone in the minor league’s if the idea isn’t that they’re working on developing. 

You are essentially saying we should never consider what a player needs to work on, and even mentioning it is an “excuse”

No, I’m not even remotely saying that.

In saying they will never be perfect in the minors with nothing to work on.  That player doesn’t exist in the majors..ever.

You don’t need perfection.  You just need ready.  Henderson is obviously ready and no other caveat needs to be put on that to justify leaving him in the minors.

• Upvote 2

Gunnar comes in at no. 2 on Kiley McDaniels’ midseason list:

“2. Gunnar Henderson, 3B, Orioles

Henderson put up goofy numbers in Double-A to start the year (in 47 games, he had more walks than strikeouts with 22 extra-base hits, all while young for the level). Last month, he went to Triple-A and has understandably not been quite as good there. But he still has been really good! He's a fringy shortstop who could be above-to-plus as a third baseman, so I'd expect him to settle on the hot corner and produce something like .275 with 25 homers.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/34404296/kiley-mcdaniel-2022-midseason-top-50-mlb-prospects

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gunnar comes in at no. 2 on Kiley McDaniels’ midseason list:

“2. Gunnar Henderson, 3B, Orioles

Henderson put up goofy numbers in Double-A to start the year (in 47 games, he had more walks than strikeouts with 22 extra-base hits, all while young for the level). Last month, he went to Triple-A and has understandably not been quite as good there. But he still has been really good! He's a fringy shortstop who could be above-to-plus as a third baseman, so I'd expect him to settle on the hot corner and produce something like .275 with 25 homers.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/34404296/kiley-mcdaniel-2022-midseason-top-50-mlb-prospects

Lots of Os on that list!

2 minutes ago, deward said:

.275 with 25 HR seems a little conservative to me, I think Henderson's upside is higher than that. Maybe he thinks the K rate will be a limiting factor?

You think the numbers are conservative?

As of right now there are 37 qualified batters hitting over .275.

There are maybe 40 qualified batters on pace to hit 25 home runs.  (Harder to tell with it being a counting stat and all so I roughed estimated it)

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There are maybe 40 qualified batters on pace to hit 25 home runs.  (Harder to tell with it being a counting stat and all so I roughed estimated it)

Yea .275 is a high BA these days.

That could come with a .375-.400 OBP. I’d focus more on that. His ability to draw walks. 

While he could certainly hit 30-35 home runs, 25 isn’t a bad annual projection for him. 

Edited by ChuckS

29 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

For the consensus # 1 or 2 overall prospect in baseball? A tad. Maybe I'm being greedy.