ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

Bravo...

I tried to set this up for me but I took a call and you slammed it outta the park.:clap3:

Well played, you win a set of steak knives...

There is a scene in that movie where there is a baseball game on...who is the game and who is at the plate?

:scratchchinhmm:

According to here

Lt. Kaffee is watching a baseball game at his home after returning from Cuba. The sports announcer that can be heard on the TV is that of legendary San Diego Padres radio announcer Jerry Coleman, himself a former Marine officer and aviator who served in WWII and Korea.

And here

In one of the scenes in Kaffee's apartment he is watching a baseball game between the Minnesota Twins and the Baltimore Orioles. The game is won at the end by the Orioles. This actual game took place on June 17, 1991, and was when the Orioles ended the Twins 15 game winning streak during that season, even though the movie was supposed to take place in September of 1992.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Tex's wife wants to make some trips to Atlanta during the season with him, then he should sign with the Nationals.

They play three series a year there, which is more than the one series a year that Boston plays there.

If we have to, maybe we should include "x" amount of first class plane tickets to Atlanta so that she can go there to visit.

Teams have included stuff like that before for a player's family.

hear the breaking news story of Mark Teixeira signing with the Baltimore Orioles! Dropping the toothbrush on the floor, signing in to OH and loving every second of all the posts and laughing at everyone who gave us no chance in this signing!

...dancing a jigg and having my wife look at me sideways like the dog looks when it gets confused...

The only reasoning I can come up with on this is that having Tex as that one big name on the team would put fans in the stands in the owner's and GM's minds. But, even if they sign him and continue to put a poor product on the field around him and give him no one in front or behind him in the lineup, the fans won't stay around. Most Nats fans are "fair-weather" fans because the team is new, the city is still pumped over baseball in DC, and they may not know a whole lot about baseball. I have met many Nats fans that are surprisingly lacking even some of the basic knowledge about baseball. DC has been a football city for the past 3 or 4 decades since the Senators left and that's all these people have known growing up. But, like I said before, in the owner's and GM's minds, they feel that Tex would put more fans in the stands even with a poor product on the field..

Wha? Some people on this board are beyond clueless sometimes. For 34 years the O's were the only game in town in DC. They were on TV every night (HTS/Comcast/MASN). They were on the town's biggest radio station (WTOP). Their highlights were shown first during the sports report on every local newscast. Pretty sure people in the DC area have a pretty good grasp of the sport. It's not Idaho.

Having said that, I can't imagine Tex would go to the Nats. It just doesn't make sense. The O's have them on the geography. The Sox and Angels have them on winning. Even with the biggest offer it's beyond a big-time stretch

I am traveling all day tomorrow and won't have internet access. I would do instant email notification, but don't know if my blackberry would be able to handle 500 emails an hour. Any one have any other recommendations?

Get someone's number off of here that you really trust to help you out and have them relay the info to you. That's how I would do it.

Sorry to disagree but if Duquette were given the same parameters to opertate under as AM has been given by PGA he would have done just fine.

PGA a major difference here.

So do you think that if PGA had allowed him, Duq would have agreed with MacPhail's approach of blowing it up?

Wha? Some people on this board are beyond clueless sometimes. For 34 years the O's were the only game in town in DC. They were on TV every night (HTS/Comcast/MASN). They were on the town's biggest radio station (WTOP). Their highlights were shown first during the sports report on every local newscast. Pretty sure people in the DC area have a pretty good grasp of the sport. It's not Idaho.

Having said that, I can't imagine Tex would go to the Nats. It just doesn't make sense. The O's have them on the geography. The Sox and Angels have them on winning. Even with the biggest offer it's beyond a big-time stretch

I can't see why it's a stretch, if the Nats have the high offer, for him to say "Well, I'm getting the most money, and the Nats are close enough that I get to play near my home."

Why does this seem to be such a crazy thing to everyone? It's not like Washington's 100 miles away. They're a half an hour away from Severna Park. It's not that big of a stretch.

Archived