The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But we are about to give big money or try to give big money to a position we could have filled for far less. The decision to draft pitching over hitting seems flawed in this case, seeing as we could have drafted hitting and payed pitching less than half what we are going to pay for hitting to produce possibly the same result. If Matusz has Burnett's career, he'll be lucky.

Yeah and if Burnett has a great non contract year I may believe he is worth the contract he got.

At least there is not a question about health or desire when you are talking about Tex.

Agreed.

If Matusz and Smoak both play to their full potential, I'd take Matusz over Justin every single time.

To say passing on Smoak is looking worse and worse as time goes by is about as unfounded a statement as I've seen on OH. There is absolutely no evidence at this point that Smoak was the better pick.

Actually during the recent Baseball America chat they raved about Matusz. They also gave Pedro Alvarez the slight edge to Smoak in terms of upside. According to the article both Smoak and Matusz could be up in 2009.

During his 1p.m. today Keith Law addressed Smoak and Matusz numerus times in his recent chat. He seems very high on our guys.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24182

Information on Matusz

http://www.baseball-intellect.com/Articles/college-draft-brian-matusz.html

I recently got a reponse from Stotle that he projects both Tillman and Matusz as above average #2 starters. Arrita a likely #3 down the road. I do not think quality starting pitching is as far away as we think!

My question would be though wold you rather have Tex (200 M) and Matsuz or Smoak, Burnett (85M), and 115M worth of pitching to go along with it?

Actually, even if you prorate the Tex deal to the length of the Burnett deal there is still 40M left over that could easily be a Sheets (30M over 2 years) and an established middle reliever.

That being said, I have no problem with the Matsuz pick, especially if the team is willing to continue to build both through FA and from within.

Has anyone ever found out what the operating budget is? I don't feel it has to be an either-or scenario.

But we are about to give big money or try to give big money to a position we could have filled for far less. The decision to draft pitching over hitting seems flawed in this case, seeing as we could have drafted hitting and payed pitching less than half what we are going to pay for hitting to produce possibly the same result. If Matusz has Burnett's career, he'll be lucky.

And I do not see why you could not make the same argument for Tex vs. Smoak. Neither Smoak or Matusz is a sure thing at this point, but I really do not see how there is an argument that Tex is more of a consistent commodity year-in-year out than Burnett.

Yeah and if Burnett has a great non contract year I may believe he is worth the contract he got.

At least there is not a question about health or desire when you are talking about Tex.

But we have no idea how Matusz will perform. He didn't fair so well in the AFL. It's possible he could bust or suffer a career ending injury. Smoak is much more likely to stay healthy and reach his ceiling IMO.

Sure you can. Wanna guess who was more valuable in terms of win shares in 2008?

Burnett 14.2

Teixeira 14.1

Like I said, Tex is a surer bet, that's why he's getting a longer/more expensive contract.

14.1 is only Tex's WS's as an Angel. His total win shares is actually 30.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtstats/main/player/?lastName=Teixeira&firstName=

But we have no idea how Matusz will perform. He didn't fair so well in the AFL. It's possible he could bust or suffer a career ending injury. Smoak is much more likely to stay healthy and reach his ceiling IMO.

Which is why you draft the pitcher and pay the hitter on the free agent market. If you are going to pay someone millions of dollars, it is nice to have them on the field.

I agree Smoak will be good. But Matusz will be as well. As to who will be better??? Who knows.

Everything else is just pure speculation at this point and is not worth even discussing.

Lets just get Tex and stop talking about something that is already over and done with. Matusz is our man. No going back.

I agree Smoak will be good. But Matusz will be as well. As to who will be better??? Who knows.

Everything else is just pure speculation at this point and is not worth even discussing.

Lets just get Tex and stop talking about something that is already over and done with. Matusz is our man. No going back.

Right but now we have to get Tex, unless we want to trade Markakis or Guthrie to get a Smoak...

I believe this deserves a round of applause. :clap:

Archived