Sulser optioned, Jones DFA’ed, more

Legend_Of_Joey

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Yes, it clearly was a salary dump. Was just referring to the fact that in the larger temporal framework, our plans with Cobb didn't bear fruit, just as with Jimenez and Gallardo before him.

Salary dump or not it would be nice to see some Elias prospects received in trades pan out. 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Why? Shake a minor league tree and 10 Stewart and Gutierrez type players fall out.

Ha, well you know I am a Guterriez fan. I think he should be our 3b now based on glove alone and see if he hits. If he doesn’t, oh well. But I get it, I clearly am the only Guterriez fan on here. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I was just thinking they might DFA Jones. Out of options this Fall, and he surely would not stick in the Spring coming off TJ. If they put him on the 60 day IL, he would have had to be paid the prorated portion of the $700K MLB minimum. And he really has not impressed enough to stay on the 40 man in 2022. 

Good guy.  Worked hard.  Wish him the best in the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Elias couldn't find a nugget if he were standing in the middle of a McDonald's distribution center.

Check out the Orioles bullpen. Urias and Mateo are two more examples. Elias’ scrap heap and bargain basement pickups are looking a lot better this season. A lot better. Right now they are even getting the most out of a flawed Odor. 

On 5/28/2022 at 10:01 PM, Ohfan67 said:

Check out the Orioles bullpen. Urias and Mateo are two more examples. Elias’ scrap heap and bargain basement pickups are looking a lot better this season. A lot better. Right now they are even getting the most out of a flawed Odor. 

I like Mateo.  He's a sub. 600 OPS guy.  So be real on that one.

Urias similarly, has barely cracked .600.

The bullpen.  He has found some pieces but I doubt any of them are here in two years.  Bullpens are volatile and ephemeral.  I dont classify bullpen finds as nuggets.  Wells, maybe the closet thing.

Otherwise, any player of value on this team was here before Elias got here.  For a player to be an unexpected find, or what I would classify as a "nugget", I would need to see a waiver, trade or round 3+ player who had some staying power.

We need to stop thinking Elias is some oracle of talent evaluation.  He has yet to show that skill.  He built a top farm system with a bunch of top 10 picks.  It something because we have seen teams build less with more, but let's not create some aura of Orioles exceptionalism.  Well, at least not until their exceptional at something. 

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The bullpen.  He has found some pieces but I doubt any of them are here in two years.  Bullpens are volatile and ephemeral.  I dont classify bullpen finds as nuggets.  Wells, maybe the closet thing.

Otherwise, any player of value on this team was here before Elias got here.  For a player to be an unexpected find, or what I would classify as a "nugget", I would need to see a waiver, trade or round 3+ player who had some staying power.

We need to stop thinking Elias is some oracle of talent evaluation.  He has yet to show that skill.  He built a top farm system with a bunch of top 10 picks.  It something because we have seen teams build less with more, but let's not create some aura of Orioles exceptionalism.  Well, at least not until their exceptional at something. 

Let’s have this exact conversation at the end of this season. Seems a bit premature at the moment to me to call Mateo a .600 OPS guy. After his rib injury, he certainly scuffled a bit. He’s shown a bit of a revival the last few games. I think he’s closer to a .680-.700 guy. We’ll see what we have by October.

You talk about all of the high picks, sure. Some of his best work is in the following rounds. I don’t think Stowers, Gunnar, Mayo and Westburg were “no brainers.” Those are top 10 prospects he drafted later. After this season, I would suspect John Rhodes, another later pick, will join the top 10 discussion.

Adley, Grayson and DL are the biggest reason the farm system is touted around #1.  Two holdovers and a gimme pick, that’s fair. Cowser, Kjerstad and Baumler are wildcards at the moment and we could really use considerable progression from all three. Kjerstad should be in affiliated ball soon, and Baumler is already. Cowser is starting to show signs of life, certainly a bumpy start. Whatever adjustments they have made with him seemed to have a steep learning curve. 

We could all point to this stat or that stat to support our point of view. We can take an honest look at just what Elias is at the end of the year. The good, the bad, and the ugly. 

3 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Does Tyler Wells count or are you going to say starting pitchers don’t count? Or maybe they have to provide five years of value to be a “nugget”? You are cherry picking to fit your argument…an argument about a folksy Buck phrase apparently. I pointed out thar Elias’ scrap heap acquisitions are performing much better this year. That’s pretty indisputable. I don’t care about posters silly definitions of a “nugget”. I care about the Orioles getting better and Elias has acquired players that look like they are going to do that. His recent group is definitely doing better than his past scrap heap acquisitions. And of course I never called Elias the Oracle of Baltimore, but that would be a fun nick name. 

• Like 1