Are we buyers or sellers?

btdart20

2022 and/or beyond?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Are we buyers or sellers?

• Buyers - willing to trade top 10 MiLB talent to be more competitive in 2022
    • Buyers - willing to trade non-top 10 MiLB talent
    • Buyers - willing to trade from MLB depth only
    • Hold
    • Sellers - Only trading from MLB depth
    • Sellers - Only trading select players (i.e. team control/arbitration/talent window)
    • Sellers - willing to trade anyone on the MLB roster for prospects

Just now, glenn__davis said:

We know that now, not sure we knew that then.  I mean sure Soto gets on base all the time but he didn't even have 100 RBIs last year!

Context is king.

Soto is the same age as Davis was in his rookie season.

(Davis had exactly one season with 100 or more RBI, 101 in 1986)

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Soto is the same age as Davis was in his rookie season.

(Davis had exactly one season with 100 or more RBI, 101 in 1986)

Sure, and youth is valued a lot more now than it was then.  I mean I 100% agree with you that he's a much better player, not sure that was as obvious looking through the lens of 1991.

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Sure, and youth is valued a lot more now than it was then.  I mean I 100% agree with you that he's a much better player, not sure that was as obvious looking through the lens of 1991.

They knew what Ted Williams looked like.

I get what you are saying about certain things being less valued but Soto is hitting ~300 with power at a very young age.

23 year old Soto would most certainly have been move valuable than 30 year old Davis.

12 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Stowers is supposedly a respectable OF.  Mancini is a 1B/DH who's valiantly tried his best at OF but is still a fish out of water out there.  Curious why see Stowers as a replacement for Mancini and not Santander.

Because that is who is most likely to be traded and where at-bats will be available. I'm not saying that Stowers will be DH-ing 80 percent of the time, but that is whose at-bats he will be taking. Santander, Rutschman and even Hays and Mullins will get time at DH, but the three outfield and DH slots should be Stowers/Santander/Hays/Mullins on days when Adley is catching and one of those guys will be sitting and actually give us a respectable bench option on days when Adley is DHing.

I get that but Mancini is a very respectable hitter and probably has a few good solid years left. He also plays better defense at 1st. I doubt Mancini would bring much in return via trade. I bring this up because could it be that Mountcastle could bring far more value in trade than Trey where it would make more since to trade him instead. The team might be better for it. Not to mention keeping a vet around like Mancini whose a true pro to mentor young guys would be a plus. I might be thinking we can more for Mountcastle than we actually could.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's a lot younger and less expensive.

More importantly, he is under team control for another 5 years after this one. There is no internal candidate to play first in the immediate future. Daschbach would have to start hitting and Coby Mayo has at least two more years of figuring out whether he is playable anywhere else but first before he would be an option.

55 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Im not at all confident in our OF's in the minors at the moment. So I hope Elias isnt going to tank our future with only Stowers really showing anything.

OF is the one spot where I feel confident we could see a couple good players make it. Stowers, Haskins, Cowser, Diaz are all good players (health an issue with Diaz but still…)…that’s not even mentioning Kjerstad or a potential Druw Jones signing this year. And on top of all that Mayo will probably be added to that list at some point. 

All that being said, I don’t necessarily want them to trade all three of current OF. Especially Hays, but he’s the one that can most likely bring in a legit SP prospect which we lack outside of Rodriguez and Hall. And Hall has future TJ surgery or at least chronic injury concerns written all over him. The best move is to keep Mullins since his value has dropped this year but still has a lot of potential.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

More importantly, he is under team control for another 5 years after this one. There is no internal candidate to play first in the immediate future. Daschbach would have to start hitting and Coby Mayo has at least two more years of figuring out whether he is playable anywhere else but first before he would be an option.

True, I stuck that under less expensive, I'm inclined to think Mancini would sign long term if the offer was fair(which I could be wrong).

59 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Santander has two years of control left after this season and nobody obvious to replace him. He is far from a sure thing to be moved this year.

I disagree…Stowers is the obvious answer and maybe Diaz if he can ever stay healthy. Two years left is nothing for this rebuild. 2023 will still be a transition year with possibly 2024 being the first year Elias actually cares about wins and losses. 

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is pretty insulting to Soto to compare with with Glenn Davis.

Soto is on a whole different level.

Not comparing the two as players, but giving up that haul for Soto who likely walks after the 2024 season in free agency is not a trade I want.

The Orioles need to be more like the Rays and be in continuous talent acquisition mode. Also like you mentioned with the MASN lawsuit and bad blood between the two franchises this trade is a nonstarter. 

We should be both. Looking for long term pieces and prospects in return for Mancini, Santander and probably Odor and Chirinos. Teams will be looking hard at Lyles too. Likely to move some of the Rule 5 depth we have to add or lose in the fall.

I doubt we add a guy like Soto, but something could happen if things line up. That proposal was ridiculous. Rather sign him as a FA. Going to cost us either way to get him.

45 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Not comparing the two as players, but giving up that haul for Soto who likely walks after the 2024 season in free agency is not a trade I want.

The Orioles need to be more like the Rays and be in continuous talent acquisition mode. Also like you mentioned with the MASN lawsuit and bad blood between the two franchises this trade is a nonstarter. 

Don’t worry, the Orioles are not going to trade prospects for Soto. They are not trading prospects for a position player for the next several years. 

2 hours ago, oriole said:

I think no matter what the record is around the deadline, we’ll see Elias dealing players away. Mancini and Santander seem like sure things to move but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mullins or even Hays moved. Same goes for Lyles, Lopez, and Urias not that anyone will be blowing us away with offers for them…

49 minutes ago, oriole said:

I disagree…Stowers is the obvious answer and maybe Diaz if he can ever stay healthy. Two years left is nothing for this rebuild. 2023 will still be a transition year with possibly 2024 being the first year Elias actually cares about wins and losses. 

Who are you building a competitive team with in 2024?

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Was thinking earlier today if it would be worth it to try to trade for Soto and what deal I would be willing to do.

Why trade for him if you can just sign him after next year?

Never mind I see he has 3 more years left. Still, probably not worth it to trade for someone like that. We need a lot of people, not just one star. 

• Upvote 1