Garceau vs Newman

Sports Guy

Scott and Melanie had the radio together last night, and I have to say...it was bad.  I give them some benefit of the doubt due to the fact that they were calling games from OPACY, but there were so many plays in which I really had no idea what had happened based on the PBP call.  I think one thing they both need to get better at - in the past, even Joe Angel couldn't keep up with things as fast as it happened, but then he would immediately go back and describe the play in detail.  Neither Garceau nor Newman really do that, or if they do, not in a way that makes much sense.

They really need to get these folks on location.

38 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Scott and Melanie had the radio together last night, and I have to say...it was bad.  I give them some benefit of the doubt due to the fact that they were calling games from OPACY, but there were so many plays in which I really had no idea what had happened based on the PBP call.  I think one thing they both need to get better at - in the past, even Joe Angel couldn't keep up with things as fast as it happened, but then he would immediately go back and describe the play in detail.  Neither Garceau nor Newman really do that, or if they do, not in a way that makes much sense.

From what I have listened to they do the exact same thing for home games. 

19 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I just got done watching the O's highlights from last night's game. Melanie Newman is downright awful. I could cite several examples but just one will suffice. Mountcastle a drive out to right...this one is...out of the bullpen. What?? Out of the bullpen? And to think we had the GOAT Jon Miller for all those years. Sigh.

And yes, she's just as bad at home games.

17 hours ago, Gentile4 said:

I don't mind Melanie, but good lord is Roch terrible in the tv booth. I'll take her any day over him. Stick to blogging, Roch.

19 hours ago, Brian88 said:

From what I have listened to they do the exact same thing for home games. 

Edited by Etch

I heard a couple of Melanie’s innings last night while driving home from a dinner.   She really is bad.   Forget the fact that there’s a pretty long delay between the crack of the bat (which you can hear) and a description of what happened.  The description itself just isn’t very, uh, descriptive.  

I feel bad for her because she’s very prepared and has a lot of good information to provide when the play isn’t happening.   She’s just not good at describing the action, and I don’t think the fact that she’s broadcasting from a monitor instead of live is the problem.  It just doesn’t come naturally to her.   

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I heard a couple of Melanie’s innings last night while driving home from a dinner.   She really is bad.   Forget the fact that there’s a pretty long delay between the crack of the bat (which you can hear) and a description of what happened.  The description itself just isn’t very, uh, descriptive.  

I feel bad for her because she’s very prepared and has a lot of good information to provide when the play isn’t happening.   She’s just not good at describing the action, and I don’t think the fact that she’s broadcasting from a monitor instead of live is the problem.  It just doesn’t come naturally to her.   

The producers give her alot of that information. Used to give out a press packet in the club level that had a ton of information on both teams  

This is one call. Two strikes on the batter The pitch under his hands and Martin catches it. Did he catch his hands?

She has been doing this for more then a few years now. Does she get better after a certain amount of  broadcasts like a guy called up from Triple A?  10 years?

• Upvote 1

If they're watching MASN as their main video feed, that can't be helping because the MASN broadcast has also been awful at tracking the action in Toronto. The camera cuts are late on most hits in this series. Any ball hit hard on the infield, you won't see the play being made because by the time the camera cuts to that angle, the fielder already has the ball or has missed the ball. It's even slow enough that it's affecting some hits to the outfield. They also missed cutting to second base altogether on one stolen base attempt. 

I've been wondering if they have an inexperienced directing crew in Toronto or some other technical/logistical issue related to the international travel, since they don't usually have these issues. 

Anyway, Garceau/Newman both struggle to describe plays even when they're in the stadium, so I can only imagine this is exacerbating the issue. Even if they can see a panel of other camera angles, the produced broadcast surely helps and that broadcast isn't always showing them the basic plays. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

She may be better as a sportscenter anchor type.

• Upvote 1