Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

Pretty wild that Lou would use John ditching Brady Anderson/trying to replace DD as examples of his brother being an out of control tyrant. I read basically a hit piece against the man and still came away thinking the club is in better hands with John than Lou even though I think the team being sold in 2020 may have been best.  

Yep, reads to me as if there was a King Solomon situation where Peter wanted the kids to run the trust together but they couldn't get along. Common in large estate situations with family businesses and properties where ultimately someone has to be in charge. Peter and Georgia chose John for whatever reason and now Lou has sour grapes.

I will be curious to hear how Peter secretly engineered the takeover. He was publicly named the CEO. Peter would have had to be really out of it to make that change haphazardly. 

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I deleted that post because I didn't feel like getting into it.

But that data is skewed because it includes the outlying areas for Nashville but not for Baltimore. Baltimore hasn't annexed its suburban areas the same way Nashville has. Nashville contains 503 square miles of land while Baltimore contains 80 square miles of land. Whether Nashville is safer or more dangerous than Baltimore depends on whether you include the metro areas and which crimes you focus on. The murder rate is certainly higher in Baltimore while the rate of rapes is higher in Nashville.

Regardless, Nashville is not a particularly safe city, and the area where Camden Yards isn't a particularly dangerous area. 

This is well trod ground, which is why I deleted the post.

The issue here isn't moving the team.  It isn't going anywhere as long as it is owned by anyone named Angelos.  John Angelos is not going to get support of 22 teams to move the Orioles to Nashville.  The only good thing Angelos did 29 years ago was say that he bought the Orioles to make sure they stayed in Baltimore.  When PA dies, the taxes due will almost certainly require the team to be sold.  

In Feb of 2019, the MLB gave the Orioles until June of 2019 to identify the controlling the club.  I have to believe this suit calls that in to question.  I have little doubt that there is no quick action coming from MLB, but this has to raise doubts to old questions.

Either way this is not good for fans of Baseball, and it is another horrible day for fans of the Baltimore Orioles.  The silver lining is that this is likely the beginning of the end of the Angelos era.  Let's hope it comes quickly. 

58 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Peter dies, does the team pass to Georgia or the sons, or John?

The team's ownership probably gets transferred to the Trust upon Peter's death or is already in the Trust. What happens depends on what the terms are in the Trust.   However, the Trust  sounds like it has Georgia, John and Lou as the beneficaries of the Trust.  

The Tigers are owned by a Trust.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, its possible Nashville has more crime in terms of robberies, etc...because of the amount of tourists and stuff like that.

But I mean, come on.  That isn't stopping anyone from going to visit a city.  Its the violent crime that is the problem and its not even close.

Agreed. It's also the optics of Nashville having some very safe tourist areas vs Baltimore having what, the inner harbor where gangs of teenagers run around and attack people for no reason? Little Italy, where people are now being stabbed and shot?

I won't get into the corruption at the political layer because of our no politics rule, and yes, Nashville has some similar problems due to policies being enacted by their leadership in non tourist areas, but let's face it, if all things were equal, not a lot of people who didn't grow up here are moving to Baltimore.

But either way, I really don't think MLB is going to allow the franchise to move and especially if it is by anyone named Angelos.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well, I mean MLB can't like the Angelos family that much if they allowed the Walgreens Nationals to siphon off a large portion of the Orioles fanbase. 

I don't know if that has to do with spiting the Angelos family as it does maximizing profit in a region.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

lol... I do when you when you publicly denounce an Oriole legend in the one area where everyone he agreed he was the best at. But I don't want to derail this thread. 

Honestly though, it's more about how I see the Ironbirds run. I took my Autistic son there last year for his birthday and I was shocked at how poorly the place was run. No staff, only like two things open to get something to eat, no dessrts available anywhere. It was awful. 

But the main thing is the optics of not having an announcer on there MiLB broadcasts. It's absolutely embarrassing to have an Orioles affiliate to not even bring in a local kid in college and give him or her a chance. I'm sure they would do it for pennies just to get the experience. When I watch other teams in the same league have dual announcers with center field cameras and major league baseball like production, you realize how much Cal as owner doesn't care how his team looks. He cares about the bottom line I'm sure.

That's not someone I'd want as part of a local ownership group. I want someone to come in and say we're going to be first class in everything we do from treating are employees to the fan experience. Including competing for the top talent to make the team a winner again.

That's fair enough.   If Cal was the face of the ownership group (goodwill ambassador, etc) that's fine.  And I think that's why some people want him to be an owner, because he's a good face and identifiable.  There's no evidence (and to your anecdotes, evidence to the contrary) that he'd make a good owner.  

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I believe the absolute best case scenario for an O's fan, and I'm not sure how feasible it is, would be a Bisciotti purchase of the team.

Yuck. No thanks. He's a weak leader who collects big paychecks and enjoys an old boys network to run his team. 

The best case scenario is for Kevin Plank to lead a local group. I don't think he's very interested in baseball though.

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I deleted that post because I didn't feel like getting into it.

But that data is skewed because it includes the outlying areas for Nashville but not for Baltimore. Baltimore hasn't annexed its suburban areas the same way Nashville has. Nashville contains 503 square miles of land while Baltimore contains 80 square miles of land. Whether Nashville is safer or more dangerous than Baltimore depends on whether you include the metro areas and which crimes you focus on. The murder rate is certainly higher in Baltimore while the rate of rapes is higher in Nashville.

Regardless, Nashville is not a particularly safe city, and the area where Camden Yards isn't a particularly dangerous area. 

This is well trod ground, which is why I deleted the post.

No city is safe.  

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

and all of their Amateur draft funds.

Plus, no credit for this.   I generally believe a disruptor like Steve Cohen's ballpark estimate they are worth 5X actual dollars is approximately correct.    I don't think selling Adley to finance a show will happen, but those are artificially curated super-dollars in the aggregate.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Yuck. No thanks. He's a weak leader who collects big paychecks and enjoys an old boys network to run his team. 

The best case scenario is for Kevin Plank to lead a local group. I don't think he's very interested in baseball though.

Well agree to disagree.

I suspect neither of us are happy with what has happened to the NFL, but I don't put that on Bisciotti.

And if he gets the results the Ravens have gotten over the decades, I'm a-ok with an old boys network.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure how much money Plank has to invest right now with how under Armor has been doing.