Baumler scratched from his start today?

flaoriolesfan

40 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Wondering if there were already health concerns with him in the spring and that’s really the reason he was held back rather than the babying theory. 

Well they certainly aren't babying 18 year old Deivy Cruz.  The little LHP threw 87 pitches yesterday.   Seems like they are much more aggressive with the Latin pitchers.

22 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well they certainly aren't babying 18 year old Deivy Cruz.  The little LHP threw 87 pitches yesterday.   Seems like they are much more aggressive with the Latin pitchers.

I doubt it's because they're "Latin." 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't think he was trying to make that point, more of an observation. I do wonder if there were other health concerns for Baumler out of spring training since it really made no sense to have him able to throw at the beginning of spring training games and then couldn't make the Delmarva team.

Again, hopefully this is just them being overly cautious but shoulders are never a good thing.

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think he was trying to make that point, more of an observation. I do wonder if there were other health concerns for Baumler out of spring training since it really made no sense to have him able to throw at the beginning of spring training games and then couldn't make the Delmarva team.

Again, hopefully this is just them being overly cautious but shoulders are never a good thing.

Yea..is this just “normal” after not pitching for a while or is this a bigger sign of an issue?

Either way, pretty obvious he won’t be throwing many more innings this year.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

They happen to be Latin.  Perhaps they have built more innings up over the last two years.  Whatever.   Portes and Delosantos are 19 years/20 years old and going 6 innings.  Cruz was only in the DSL last year and threw 87 pitches yesterday.   Draw whatever conclusions you want.   I was only making what I consider to be a factual statement.   The Orioles seems to be more aggressive with the pitch counts for the pitchers signed as free agents from Latin America.   I'm sure there are perfectly reasonable reasons for it besides some sort of racism which you seem to be implying that I was getting at.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

They happen to be Latin.  Perhaps they have built more innings up over the last two years.  Whatever.   Portes and Delosantos are 19 years/20 years old and going 6 innings.  Cruz was only in the DSL last year and threw 87 pitches yesterday.   Draw whatever conclusions you want.   I was only making what I consider to be a factual statement.   The Orioles seems to be more aggressive with the pitch counts for the pitchers signed as free agents from Latin America.   I'm sure there are perfectly reasonable reasons for it besides some sort of racism which you seem to be implying that I was getting at.

No. I'm not saying anything is racist or that anyone is doing anything wrong, and I'm not trying to imply you did either.

I just think the latin part is wrong. I'm guessing, having not done the work myself, that there are white people throwing similar numbers of innings in this org, and that it's more about their relative health than anything else.

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

No. I'm not saying anything is racist or that anyone is doing anything wrong, and I'm not trying to imply you did either.

I just think the latin part is wrong. I'm guessing, having not done the work myself, that there are white people throwing similar numbers of innings in this org, and that it's more about their relative health than anything else.

I think the real issue here is that almost all of the 20 years old and below pitchers in the system are Latin. Elias has almost totally ignored high school pitching.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I think the real issue here is that almost all of the 20 years old and below pitchers in the system are Latin. Elias has almost totally ignored high school pitching.

I think it's RZNJ who pointed out that this is how Houston has done it too.

Basically load up on young, cheap, arms and some will develop. I like the strategy because it minimizes the financial risk associated with pitching, but it leaves some holes when you're starting from scratch for sure.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

And the ones he does sign mostly get tiny bonuses. He's not even trying to sign good latin pitching.

20 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, if he doesn’t go heavy on pitching in this year’s draft, we should be concerned.