Rosenthal: Os could be buyers and sellers

Sports Guy

14 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I heard from someone that we could be after Oakland pitchers.  Not sure anyone else is worth it outside of Montas.

Blackburn?  Maybe??

Woukd think Montas would be expensive (trade wise) and he has some shoulder inflammation, so not sure he would be the best target.

A small follow up is that I heard Oakland is scouting Aberdeen and Bowie.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

You kid right? Bumgarner has 18 start averaging just over 5 innings per with a 3.65 ERA in 91 innings.  Snell has 9 starts with 4.66 in 45 innings. So Bumgarner has pitched twice as much and been 1.01 ERA. BTW, their WHIP is nearly the same but Snells is worse. What am I missing?

Snell has more Ks but also more walks ….Ks aren’t everything 

Top line stats fluctuate. 

Did you know that Bumgardner's ERA is a full run less this year (3.65) compared to last year (4.67) even though his WHIP (1.347) is higher (1 more H/9 and .5 BB9).  While striking out 1 K9 less as well.  More baserunners with more balls in play usually doesn't play out well.  Yet his ERA amazingly went down.  That's just counting stats.  Moving to statcast type number, his hard hit % is 44.8% (38.7% is MLB average).  The one good metric that supports his improvement is that he's inducing more GB (40.7% this year vs. 33.3% last year).  MadBum's FB sits at 91 MPH average.  And his 'stuff' is below MLB average nearly across the board (lots of blue on the movement chart).  FIP sits at 4.60.  xERA is 4.82.  

Moving to Snell...  As you noted, similar WHIP (1.381) is more in-line for his history than MadBum's.  Yet his ERA went up nearly half a run (4.20 to 4.66 this year so far).  His GB% is 43.1 (pretty close to MLB average).  GB/FB ratio for Snell is better (0.76) compared to MadBum (0.70).    HH% is 37.9%.  Many more red numbers on his 'stuff' chart as well.  95 MPH FB with a 75th percentile horizontal movement on his CB.   FIP is 3.57 and xERA is 3.41.  

This is a buy low for Snell.  Less hard hits, more Ks (more specifically outs without the ball in play), better movement on pitches, 3 years younger...  Motivated seller who wouldn't demand top prospects in return.  

• Upvote 4

I might shop DL Hall and just see what he could bring back. As high as his ceiling is, there's probably just as good a chance he'll flame out. Somebody might be willing to give up a solid, controllable SP that could really solidify this rotation down the stretch and for 2-3 years going forward. 

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I heard from someone that we could be after Oakland pitchers.  Not sure anyone else is worth it outside of Montas.

Blackburn?  Maybe??

Woukd think Montas would be expensive (trade wise) and he has some shoulder inflammation, so not sure he would be the best target.

Home/Away OPS Splits

Montas - .583/.784

Blackburn - .907/.567

Irvin - .507/.879

3 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Your comments make no sense.  Read them slowly and you will see.  Also, I saw the clip again just now and whatever words they had must have taken place in a microsecond, so I think you are talking out of your arse on that assertion.

Ok, no. Cheers.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Home/Away OPS Splits

Montas - .583/.784

Blackburn - .907/.567

Irvin - .507/.879

Wow, those splits make me like Blackburn even more (and I already really liked him). Home split at a park as cavernous as Oakland's HAS to be a total fluke. And even if it's not a fluke (which it definitely is), still a reason to like him even more!

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Top line stats fluctuate. 

Did you know that Bumgardner's ERA is a full run less this year (3.65) compared to last year (4.67) even though his WHIP (1.347) is higher (1 more H/9 and .5 BB9).  While striking out 1 K9 less as well.  More baserunners with more balls in play usually doesn't play out well.  Yet his ERA amazingly went down.  That's just counting stats.  Moving to statcast type number, his hard hit % is 44.8% (38.7% is MLB average).  The one good metric that supports his improvement is that he's inducing more GB (40.7% this year vs. 33.3% last year).  MadBum's FB sits at 91 MPH average.  And his 'stuff' is below MLB average nearly across the board (lots of blue on the movement chart).  FIP sits at 4.60.  xERA is 4.82.  

Moving to Snell...  As you noted, similar WHIP (1.381) is more in-line for his history than MadBum's.  Yet his ERA went up nearly half a run (4.20 to 4.66 this year so far).  His GB% is 43.1 (pretty close to MLB average).  GB/FB ratio for Snell is better (0.76) compared to MadBum (0.70).    HH% is 37.9%.  Many more red numbers on his 'stuff' chart as well.  95 MPH FB with a 75th percentile horizontal movement on his CB.   FIP is 3.57 and xERA is 3.41.  

This is a buy low for Snell.  Less hard hits, more Ks (more specifically outs without the ball in play), better movement on pitches, 3 years younger...  Motivated seller who wouldn't demand top prospects in return.  

I’d be happy with either… I just think MB is a better pitcher and I think he could be had for less as Arizona is looking to dump payroll in the article I read.Strikeouts aren’t everything. 

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s the pros and cons of losing the extra service on time of Hall versus what we’d have to give up?  

Is it worth 5-7 starts of calling up now, versus what we’d have to give up. Also, Hall could still have 4-5 starts before 7/31 to be evaluated. 

Hall and Gray Rod are most of our top 30 list pitchers. I doubt Elias deals them.

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

If they want somebody’s 1 or 2 prospect I doubt he gets dealt. At least he won’t be coming here

Well, there are some teams that have pretty substandard no. 1-2 prospects.   The Braves, for example, don’t have a single prospect who Fangraphs rates higher than 45 FV.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, there are some teams that have pretty substandard no. 1-2 prospects.   The Braves, for example, don’t have a single prospect who Fangraphs rates higher than 45 FV.

I was referring to the guys that were mentioned in the asking price from the Yankees and our 1 or 2. I doubt they’d want the Braves 1 or 2 but who knows

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s the pros and cons of losing the extra service on time of Hall versus what we’d have to give up?  

Is it worth 5-7 starts of calling up now, versus what we’d have to give up. Also, Hall could still have 4-5 starts before 7/31 to be evaluated. 

I don’t know what you mean. He’s already passed the extra year of service time. And already passed the Super 2 deadline. Elias has already said he’ll be up this year. At this point, it really is just about his development. 

But I’d start using his remaining innings in Baltimore. It’s time to optimize the roster for wins after the break. Get Stowers, Hall, and Westburg up now. Send down McKenna, Nevin, and Garcia. Stowers can be rotated in enough to play 3-4 times per week as he gets his feet wet. Westburg can play 5 times per week, and Hall can pitch in an Akin role out of the pen.