Keep Mancini Thread

NelsonCruuuuuz

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you are underestimating the value of Trey’s offense and the number of teams that need help at the positions he plays.   Trey currently has a 120 wRC+.   Here’s where various contending teams stand at positions he plays:

DH: Seattle 71, Cleveland 74, Padres 81, Mets 82, White Sox 92, Cardinals 94

1B: Boston 77, Houston 79, Cleveland 99

LF: White Sox 71, Braves 77, Cardinals 91, Boston 93, Yankees 95

RF: Padres 75, Boston 84, Braves 85, Philly 87, Tampa 89, Seattle 94, Cleveland 99.   

In short, there are plenty of contenders for whom Mancini could be a very big offensive upgrade.   And sure, you might not want him in the OF full time, but the fact that he can play those positions is a plus.   

Again, I don’t get how he’s too valuable for the Os but also carries little to no value elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think you are underestimating the value of Trey’s offense and the number of teams that need help at the positions he plays.   Trey currently has a 120 wRC+.   Here’s where various contending teams stand at positions he plays:

DH: Seattle 71, Cleveland 74, Padres 81, Mets 82, White Sox 92, Cardinals 94

1B: Boston 77, Houston 79, Cleveland 99

LF: White Sox 71, Braves 77, Cardinals 91, Boston 93, Yankees 95

RF: Padres 75, Boston 84, Braves 85, Philly 87, Tampa 89, Seattle 94, Cleveland 99.   

In short, there are plenty of contenders for whom Mancini could be a very big offensive upgrade.   And sure, you might not want him in the OF full time, but the fact that he can play those positions is a plus.   

We could maybe use him to buy a prospect if we kick in some money. The fact he's a large upgrade doesn't mean teams are going to trade good prospects for an expensive rental. I think best case scenario we get a lottery ticket or two, but maybe I'm wrong about that. If someone offers you a good prospect or two who you think can be a contributor, sure you trade him. I just don't see that happening.

I don't want Mancini in the outfield at all, and I doubt contending teams do either. 

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

We could maybe use him to buy a prospect if we kick in some money. The fact he's a large upgrade doesn't mean teams are going to trade good prospects for an expensive rental. I think best case scenario we get a lottery ticket or two, but maybe I'm wrong about that. If someone offers you a good prospect or two who you think can be a contributor, sure you trade him. I just don't see that happening.

I don't want Mancini in the outfield at all, and I doubt contending teams do either. 

Buck might be fine with it.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Again, I don’t get how he’s too valuable for the Os but also carries little to no value elsewhere.

I think it's pretty fair to say that he's an emotional leader, clubhouse guy.  IIRC, he's the longest tenured Oriole.  He's a leader here.  I know you don't really believe in that type of stuff but it's fair to say that his teammates do.

He wouldn't be a de-facto leader somewhere else, most likely.  Hence, valuable for us, less so somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think it's pretty fair to say that he's an emotional leader, clubhouse guy.  IIRC, he's the longest tenured Oriole.  He's a leader here.  I know you don't really believe in that type of stuff but it's fair to say that his teammates do.

He wouldn't be a de-facto leader somewhere else, most likely.  Hence, valuable for us, less so somewhere else.

Where did I say I don’t believe in it?  I even recently said I would consider not moving him because of it.

And I agree that he could mean more to us than other teams but people acting like he has no value on the trade market while saying he’s so valuable to us are way off.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Where did I say I don’t believe in it?  I even recently said I would consider not moving him because of it.

And I agree that he could mean more to us than other teams but people acting like he has no value on the trade market while saying he’s so valuable to us are way off.  

My bad, I had you confused with someone else then.

I think he has some trade value, I just don't want to go down the rabbit hole of defining what his trade value could be.  I don't think he gets traded though. 

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

My bad, I had you confused with someone else then.

I think he has some trade value, I just don't want to go down the rabbit hole of defining what his trade value could be.  I don't think he gets traded though. 

We're kind of in a twilight zone where its unclear if he is the Most Respected and Accomplished Elder on a 65-win team (DFA that guy as a sign of respect, please) or just a decent piece of an 85-win team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I don’t know why you say he’s an expensive rental.  He’d cost about $2.6 mm for the last two months of the year.  That’s not expensive at all.  

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Some will some won’t ….but you are undervaluing what could be one of the best available hitters on the market. Also will there be a bidding war? 

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

2 decent pitching prospects for Mancini sounds like a good deal.  No way am I giving up Lopez and Bautista in one trade unless the return is fantastic.  What does Richardson project to, a #4 starter at best. 

So it depends if his FB velocity comes back to 96. But, mid rotation is likely. I said in another response I’d trade Lopez for him and another player. Maybe Edourd Julien ?

And I’d have to be blown away to trade Felix as he’s likely our next closer am$ has tons of control.

13 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned,  I haven't seen it but I didn't read every page, but a factor to consider in his value is the possibility of draft pick compensation for Mancini if he walks in FA.

I thought the new CBA did away with draft comp.

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why you say he’s an expensive rental.  He’d cost about $2.6 mm for the last two months of the year.  That’s not expensive at all.  

My bad, I thought he was owed considerably more than that. Still, teams are only willing to pay so much for a rental