2022 1st Round Pick Comp A (#33): Dylan Beavers - OF - (Jr) California University

On 7/18/2022 at 9:39 AM, RZNJ said:

The writeup doesn't make sense in this regard. They say he has all of the tools required to be a good hitter plus good pitch recognition but even with the proper swing adjustments he could be a below average hitter.  That makes no sense to me.

So Stowers without power (s) 😍?

20 hours ago, Big Mac said:

What do you know about Porter other than the fact he is highly ranked by most publications?  He lasted until the 109th pick so it's not like we are on an island here.  There either was something we did not like about him, we did not think we could sign him, we did not want to sign him at the price it would take or some combination of those three. 

Porter apparently will be signed for $3.7 million (I just read that in another thread so I can't confirm). Basically that's around pick 17 to 18 money. The Orioles next pick was valued at $2,313,900 so even if the Orioles wanted him there, they would have had to make up about 1.4 million, in the rest of the draft. 

The Rangers basically decided that they wanted Kumar and Porter so they gave away a chance to draft Johnson or Green to make it happen. It's an interesting strategy, but they got two high ceiling arms in one draft and that's pretty good.

The Orioles would not have gotten Beavers if they tried for Porter and then would have punted their next two picks to make up for it or at least some kind of combination of picks  later on.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Porter apparently will be signed for $3.7 million (I just read that in another thread so I can't confirm). Basically that's around pick 17 to 18 money. The Orioles next pick was valued at $2,313,900 so even if the Orioles wanted him there, they would have had to make up about 1.4 million, in the rest of the draft. 

The Rangers basically decided that they wanted Kumar and Porter so they gave away a chance to draft Johnson or Green to make it happen. It's an interesting strategy, but they got two high ceiling arms in one draft and that's pretty good.

The Orioles would not have gotten Beavers if they tried for Porter and then would have punted their next two picks to make up for it or at least some kind of combination of picks  later on.

The Os easily could have signed Porter and Beavers if they wanted to.  

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os easily could have signed Porter and Beavers if they wanted to.  

Yeah, the O's probably could have had drafted the same guys top 3, drafted Porter in Fabian's slot, drafted $10K bonus college seniors in rounds 3-10 and gone 4.9% over and signed Porter for $3.7M.

Would have been an interesting strategy, but not necessarily a bad one to have basically a 4-man draft.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, the O's probably could have had drafted the same guys top 3, drafted Porter in Fabian's slot, gone $10K college seniors in rounds 3-10 and gone 4.9% over and signed Porter.

Yes..some form of this.

They will save 500k or so on Holliday.  The 4.9% over gives them 1.3ishM. Fabian spot was around a million iirc.  That’s 2.3M right there.  Finding another 1.4M would not have been that hard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, the O's probably could have had drafted the same guys top 3, drafted Porter in Fabian's slot, drafted $10K bonus college seniors in rounds 3-10 and gone 4.9% over and signed Porter for $3.7M.

Would have been an interesting strategy, but not necessarily a bad one to have basically a 4-man draft.

Well, I understand your conclusion, but I really think the O's value spreading out risk and do think it would have been a bad strategy to have a 4 man draft. Their alternative really would have been similar to Texas. Draft Rocker or Johnson at 1-1 and add Porter later. That's where you could get savings necessary to not tank the rest of the draft. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yes..some form of this.

They will save 500k or so on Holliday.  The 4.9% over gives them 1.3ishM. Fabian spot was around a million iirc.  That’s 2.3M right there.  Finding another 1.4M would not have been that hard. 

Yeah, I overstated it somewhat, not knowing for sure whether they would save $500K on Holliday. If so, they could have taken Fabian as well, taken Porter in McLean's ($800K) slot and punted rounds 4-10 to save $1.8M.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Well, I understand your conclusion, but I really think the O's value spreading out risk and do think it would have been a bad strategy to have a 4 man draft. Their alternative really would have been similar to Texas. Draft Rocker or Johnson at 1-1 and add Porter later. That's where you could get savings necessary to not tank the rest of the draft. 

Would you trade Westburg for the group of guys ranked 11-20 in our organization?