We are up. Who do you want for pick 81, and who do you think they will take?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can sure as heck try and predict what they will do.

I also wasn't just talking about pitching.

For a group that is this tight lipped it seems telling that we keep hearing about how guys they were targeting got picked before they could select them.

I mean, it’s par for the course IMO.   

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

By now they should know that the odds are that if there are two more guys out there that they want, odds are both aren't going to fall to them later on.  IIRC they wanted to do that last year, I can't remember who the pitcher was (Bitsko?) but he was gone next time they were up.

Porter should be the pick here.  I mean, I don't know why they're implementing this strategy if it's to NOT select a guy like this.  

Right.  That’s the problem with this strategy..they don’t do it.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mean, it’s par for the course IMO.   

But if a key part of your overall strategy involves doing underslot with your top pick you need to be able to properly target your overslot options.

I'm not saying they are going with that strategy this year, I'm speaking in the general sense of how they've viewed the draft.

Given Porter is still available here, I would have to think most teams view him as unsignable...or at very least way too much a risk. Many rankings had him in the 20 range and will likely need a bonus at least in that range to have a chance of signing.  I'm not sure a team takes a risk on him in the first 10 rounds now. Maybe the Orioles or another team save money the rest of the top-10 rounds and takes him after that when they won't lose the pool money for his slot if he doesn't sign. And take a shot on him, but also draft some other lesser overslot guys that they could give the money to instead if he ultimately honors his commitment and goes to school. 

All that said, I would be happy with them taking him to start the day because it would show confidence that they believe he can be signed and adding Porter to the draft class immediately makes it look that much better. 

5 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Given Porter is still available here, I would have to think most teams view him as unsignable...or at very least way too much a risk. Many rankings had him in the 20 range and will likely need a bonus at least in that range to have a chance of signing.  I'm not sure a team takes a risk on him in the first 10 rounds now. Maybe the Orioles or another team save money the rest of the top-10 rounds and takes him after that when they won't lose the pool money for his slot if he doesn't sign. And take a shot on him, but also draft some other lesser overslot guys that they could give the money to instead if he ultimately honors his commitment and goes to school. 

All that said, I would be happy with them taking him to start the day because it would show confidence that they believe he can be signed and adding Porter to the draft class immediately makes it look that much better. 

Teams viewed Bubba Chandler as unsignable last year too..he signed.

Matthew Allan was a highly ranked guy a few years ago that teams viewed as unsignable..he signed.

If Porter is drafted, he will sign if you put the right amount of money on the table.  The Os can do that. 

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Porter should be the pick here.  I mean, I don't know why they're implementing this strategy if it's to NOT select a guy like this.  

They haven’t gone under slot though, so I’m not sure what strategy you think they’re implementing 

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can sure as heck try and predict what they will do.

I also wasn't just talking about pitching.

For a group that is this tight lipped it seems telling that we keep hearing about how guys they were targeting got picked before they could select them.

Do you know how drafts work? Teams try and get the best players first. That means there are always going to be players you liked or would have picked before it's your turn.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Do you know how drafts work? Teams try and get the best players first. That means there are always going to be players you liked or would have picked before it's your turn.

And you should be trying to predict what players will and won't be available. 

If your later round targets are consistently being picked before you select them you should probably work on getting better at predicting what other teams will do.

They seem to mention this happening every year, it might be an area in which they can improve.

Or they do as well as ever other team in this regard but just complain about it more.  That is a possibility.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Do you have to pay slot for a .239 hitter who can't use the threat he'll go back to college?

Technically speaking, he could go back to college.  Maybe they save money there. We'll see.

I think we all hope it's Porter, but I would be surprised if it is him at this point. First, I'm betting his number scared off teams and he may be thought of as a hard sign. 

Second, we know the Orioles have an absolute aversion to drafting pitching, particularly high school pitching where they've drafted only Baumler who has spent most of his professional career in the training room.

The easy answer is another college bat but left-handed hitting catcher Malcolm Moore could be a guy who intrigues them if they think he can hit enough to be first base eventually.