Day 3, who's left?

It certainly looks like they should have some money for overslot deals so maybe we pick a couple of the young HS arms (or bats) that seem destined for college and lure him away from school. Perhaps someone like Tristan Smith or Jaden Noot. 

Given the team doesn't loose it's pool money if they fail to sign someone from today's part of the draft, it's the perfect time to take a couple gambles on high upside HS guys, take 3-4 and hope you can sign 1-2. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/day-3-of-draft-how-to-watch-best-available?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Tristan Smith, LHP, Boiling Springs (SC) HS (No. 46)
Malcolm Moore, C, CK McClatchy (Calif.) HS (No. 57)
Gavin Guidry, SS, Barbe (LA) HS (No. 70)
Brady Neal, C, IMG Academy (Fla.) HS (No. 74)
Sam Horn, SS, Collins Hill (GA) HS (No. 76)
Bradley Loftin, LHP, DeSoto Central (MS) HS (No. 77)
Jaden Noot, RHP, Sierra Canyon School (Calif.) HS (No. 79)
Jalin Flores, SS, Louis D. Brandeis (TX) HS (No. 82)
Jordan Taylor, OF, St. John's Country Day School (Fla.) HS (No. 83)
Cam Smith, SS, Palm Beach Central (Fla.) HS (No. 84)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tristan Smith is still there?  Just go get him if you know he will sign.  Take a damn shot.

I actually prefer* Loftin to Smith, but basically yeah

*not that I really know enough to have an informed opinion 

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I actually prefer* Loftin to Smith, but basically yeah

*not that I really know enough to have an informed opinion 

Yea that’s fine.  Take a shot at someone.

And your opinion is informed enough to discuss it on here and give us your thoughts. 

I got VERY lucky to guess the day 2 first pick right, so let's try it again.  I think they pick Colby Holcombe, a 6'7", 225ishlb pitcher who went the community college route.  This year he pitched 65.2 innings, gave up 32 hits, 31 walks and 115 Ks, while pitching to a 2.60 ERA.  He's number 134 on the MLB ranking, but he's only 19, won't be 20 until December.  He's a young, big guy, but does have a college season worth of numbers/stats/pitches to analyze.  If they REALLY don't want to take high school kids outside the top talents, then here is a choice who has a bit more data to review, yet is still young and raw.  

• Upvote 3

I was out of pocket most of yesterday and trying to get caught up with work and the draft.  Is there a consensus on whether there is money left for over slots today or just a bunch of college seniors?

Since I really only follow ECU college baseball my flyer for today would be Bryson Worrell from ECU.  He is a senior outfielder who was nagged by injuries most of his career but really broke out the second half of this season and played like he was always projected to.  He is big, fast and athletic.  During the conference and regional tournaments he had multiple SC Top 10 highlights including hitting HR's from both side of the plate in the same inning.   He is older so I think he will move fast but not sure how high he will make it.  Low bonus flyer with some potential.

• Upvote 2

There is a few hs arms available so hopefullly we gamble with one of higher ranked guys we think will sign.  Another option I like is Andrew Walters closer for Miami who has huge arm sits upper 90s and been clocked at 100 few times.   He basically has 1 pitch though has used breaking ball bit more this season but you can’t teach upper 90s fastball.  He could easily be two pitch pitcher out of the pen last inning down the road.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, odogs101 said:

Malcolm Moore would mirror last years Creed pick. Stick that needs work defensively behind the plate

Brady Neal is another catcher that fits mold.  Neal will not turn 18 til October so if he goes to college he will not be draft eligible until after his Junior year so maybe bit easier to convince to go pro instead of waiting 3 years.