2022 11th Round Pick (#317): Zach Showalter - P - (HS) Wesley Chapel HS (FL)

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But we can only give him 250k, right?

I would assume, since they are trying at round 11 and that the Os have always signed their picks, that he is going to sign.

I think we can give up to 125k without it counting towards the bonus pool (but he'll be well over that to sign)

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

I think we can give up to 125k without it counting towards the bonus pool (but he'll be well over that to sign)

Yeah, I suspect this is our sole overslot guy for the rest of the draft unless we were really worried Brehmer would be selected.  Otherwise, why not choose another overslot in Round 12.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Yeah, I suspect this is our sole overslot guy for the rest of the draft unless we were really worried Brehmer would be selected.  Otherwise, why not choose another overslot in Round 12.

I'm assuming they might have cut a deal with him last night, and now they are out of money to use on overslots 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I'm assuming they might have cut a deal with him last night, and now they are out of money to use on overslots 

Agreed.  Looks like a pretty good arm to me.  If he were a few inches taller, he probably would have been more hyped.

Here is our overslot.  The fastball is enough for me.  Better than going all in on a kid because of exit velocities.  

Exit velocities are pretty worthless if you can't make contact.  No similar hurdle for throwing a baseball. 

This is one of my favorite picks of the O's draft so far. Overall, very happy with the draft at this point even though guys like Ardoin and Crampton profile more as organization depth pieces, although they have paths to be MLB role players and possible throw-ins in trades in the future.

For all the people whining about no pitcher picks on Day 1, Elias and company have obviously pivoted in a major way on Days 2 and 3 to address the lack of pitching depth in the organization.

15 minutes ago, seak05 said:

The MLB.com streaming guys...Callis one of them I think, before they threw it to the conference call live stream of rounds 11-15....the host asked for the BAL pick and they nailed Showalter.