07/26/22 Roster Moves: Terrin Vavra is called up from Norfolk (MLB debut) and Arauz to the IL

OsFanSinceThe80s

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Aaron Judge wears 99.   Just ask the 10,000 Yankee fans who showed up wearing that jersey on Saturday.  Of course, most of those jerseys also had “Judge” printed on the back, though actual Yankee jerseys have no names on them.  

Three Orioles have worn 88, including Albert Belle.  

I was there on Saturday night, Section 10, and every kid there had a Yankees 99 jersey on. I will say, that if NY doesn't keep him, they're seriously losing out on the 'youths' MLB has been bemoaning not coming to the ballpark. From a marketing perspective, the Orioles should take a run at him if he makes it to free agency. He might break Bonds single-season record playing everyday in OPACY and that could pay for half the contract in ticket sales.

...or he could go full Chris Davis...who knows.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

How do we know he isn’t?  He’s a career .878 OPS guy in the minors who has hit at every level.   I’m not saying he will prove to be an above average major league player, but it wouldn’t shock me if he did.   

Things happen but his defensive profile says he isn’t likely an everyday player although I want to find out.  I like him. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Aaron Judge wears 99.   Just ask the 10,000 Yankee fans who showed up wearing that jersey on Saturday.  Of course, most of those jerseys also had “Judge” printed on the back, though actual Yankee jerseys have no names on them.  

Three Orioles have worn 88, including Albert Belle.  

As I keep telling my Yankee friend he will be allowed to put his name on the back of his Mets jersey next season.😁

44 minutes ago, accinfo said:

As I keep telling my Yankee friend he will be allowed to put his name on the back of his Mets jersey next season.😁

I could definitely see Steve Cohen doing whatever it takes to grab Judge from the Yankees.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I could definitely see Steve Cohen doing whatever it takes to grab Judge from the Yankees.  

Yes, I think the Yankees can keep him but they are going to have to be the highest bidder and Cohen is going to make that a HUGE price.  There is no Yankee hometown discount.

Vavra should be given a shot to replace Odor in the lineup. Doubt it happens, but I hope to see it.

I appreciate Odor's clutch hits, solid defense, and him being a good teammate, but he's objectively a bad player. We can and need to do better at 2B. Jordan Westburg is the best solution there starting in August.

14 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Yes, I think the Yankees can keep him but they are going to have to be the highest bidder and Cohen is going to make that a HUGE price.  There is no Yankee hometown discount.

For an organization worth billions upon billions of dollars, the Yankees can at times be really cheap.  Which makes no sense since they have no problem paying over the hill veterans $10-20mm/year like it's pocket change.

I'm pretty fascinated to see how Vavra's numbers translate in the bigs. Do we know anything about his statcast-type numbers (barrel, hard-hit, etc)? 

He hits a lot of doubles, so it's good that he doesn't seem to just be a slap hitter guy who gets on base. Because he's not going to get on base in the bigs as a slap hitter. 

Could he put up like... .260/.340/.400? That would be an enormous upgrade at 2B. 

From Prospects Live in September on Terrin Vavra - 

Field: Solid defender that profiles best long term at 2B. Average range that plays up because of instincts and a quick first step. Reads angles well and makes more difficult plays than he should. Good footwork when he gets to the ball; exceptionally soft hands; quick on the pivot; turns an excellent on the double play. Adequate enough to play SS in a pinch but 2B is his primary future. Grade: 55

I think that defensive profile works just fine at 2B.  I think that spring training 2023 is going to be very interesting with Urias, Mateo, Vavra, Henderson, and Westburg in the infield mix.  Richie Martin, we hardly knew ya.  Rylan Buh-Bye Bannon.  Never Nevin.  The O's infield will be flush with talent next year.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

From Prospects Live in September on Terrin Vavra - 

Field: Solid defender that profiles best long term at 2B. Average range that plays up because of instincts and a quick first step. Reads angles well and makes more difficult plays than he should. Good footwork when he gets to the ball; exceptionally soft hands; quick on the pivot; turns an excellent on the double play. Adequate enough to play SS in a pinch but 2B is his primary future. Grade: 55

I think that defensive profile works just fine at 2B.  I think that spring training 2023 is going to be very interesting with Urias, Mateo, Vavra, Henderson, and Westburg in the infield mix.  Richie Martin, we hardly knew ya.  Rylan Buh-Bye Bannon.  Never Nevin.  The O's infield will be flush with talent next year.

This really sounds like Brian Roberts Lite. Less speed and less power, but similar on base skills and ability to hit doubles and play solid defense.