30th anniversary of Camden Yards celebration

MurphDogg

It is sad we are talking about so many AAAA and mediocre ballplayers to bring back for this "anniversary".  To me, Adam Jones and Melvin Mora should be invited.  Most of the rest = meh.  Delmon Young would probably get a good ovation I think.  Too soon for Davis.  Let him count his money.

20 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

It is sad we are talking about so many AAAA and mediocre ballplayers to bring back for this "anniversary".  To me, Adam Jones and Melvin Mora should be invited.  Most of the rest = meh.  Delmon Young would probably get a good ovation I think.  Too soon for Davis.  Let him count his money.

I'm wondering if you know what AAAA means...

That said, anyone who could reasonably fit that term was almost assuredly a part of a major event at OPACY.

Edited by BohKnowsBmore

On 7/28/2022 at 11:22 AM, InsideCoroner said:

Hey, Ubaldo has more career wins for the O's than Means or Dave Johnson. As the saying goes, "Why not?"  Bring out Glenn Davis too, at this point it's all water over the harbor tunnel. 

I like that Mussina is attending. 

In defense of Ubaldo...

He was the winning pitcher on Clinchmas in 2014.

Furthermore, his signing as an FA (along with Cruz) was part of the O's really trying to turn on their competitive window in the Mid-2010's following a surprising 2012 and a not-quite-enough 2013. 

Finally, he is apparently a really good person and was very much loved by his coaches and teammates.

I honestly have no problem with him being there. He certainly shouldn't be the headliner, but I don't think it would be better for us to shut him out.

Edited by BohKnowsBmore

52 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I'm wondering if you know what AAAA means...

That said, anyone who could reasonably fit that term was almost assuredly a part of a major event at OPACY.

Too good for AAA not quite good enough for MLB roster.  Played organized baseball from 1977 until 2018.  Yes I am old.  Thanks for the patronizing comment though.  🙂

Edited by drdelaware

52 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

In defense of Ubaldo...

He was the winning pitcher on Clinchmas in 2014.

Furthermore, his signing as an FA (along with Cruz) was part of the O's really trying to turn on their competitive window in the Mid-2010's following a surprising 2012 and a not-quite-enough 2013. 

Finally, he is apparently a really good person and was very much loved by his coaches and teammates.

I honestly have no problem with him being there. He certainly shouldn't be the headliner, but I don't think it would be better for us to shut him out.

And Ubaldo was one of the reasons the Birds claimed that WC spot in 2016. He pitched pretty well in the second half, and went 3-1 in September during our playoff push. He had his moments with the O's... but they were definitely outshone by his overall disappointing performance here.

1 hour ago, BMann said:

And Ubaldo was one of the reasons the Birds claimed that WC spot in 2016. He pitched pretty well in the second half, and went 3-1 in September during our playoff push. He had his moments with the O's... but they were definitely outshone by his overall disappointing performance here.

No one knew at the time how the Ubaldo signing would turn out.  It didn't work mostly.  By all accounts he was a good guy and a good teammate from everything I read.  Sometimes things don't go as expected.

Edited by drdelaware

On 7/28/2022 at 9:02 AM, Frobby said:

I’m not surprised that Mussina will be there.  He’s an Orioles HOFer and certainly the best Orioles pitcher ever to throw a pitch at OPACY.   He was there for the years when it sold out every night, and produced many of its greatest moments. 

The sound of that batted ball slamming into his skull will haunt me for the rest of my days. Would have bet money in that moment his career was over, or he was dead. Glad things didn't turn out worse.

• Upvote 1