Trey Mancini Traded to the Astros

RVAOsFan

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Really?  Hahah.  If Rosenthal is defending the Orioles you know you must be in the wrong.

Oh no probably not. Just my way of saying f Olney. I mean he’s a grown ass man who calls himself Buster. 

Edited by waroriole
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Sucks to see Trey go but I wanted to move him.

Very happy with the return, it’s more than I expected. I would’ve  been cool with just the Tampa prospect by himself so getting the pitcher from Houston is icing on the cake.

Does suck a bit that he is going to Houston because of the cheating stain there but I’ll always root for Trey. He’s basically a lock to be in the playoffs now.

41 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I feel like age matters less when it comes to pitchers.  If either of them comes up and is a 26-27 year old rookie, that makes him Tyler Wells.  Not so bad....

I guess it's the TJ surgery that dampens the deal some for me. By the time he returns next year he'll be nearly 25. That's a big setback for a guy that still hasn't been pitching that long. 

Hopefully I'm wrong and he turns out to be a great return for Trey.

2 minutes ago, billw76 said:

I guess it's the TJ surgery that dampens the deal some for me. By the time he returns next year he'll be nearly 25. That's a big setback for a guy that still hasn't been pitching that long. 

Hopefully I'm wrong and he turns out to be a great return for Trey.

You mean when he returns in 2024.

Suppose there is a chance he can start his rehab towards the end of the 2023 season but I’d bet on not seeing him until 24. 

34 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Looks like a better return than I was expecting… I’d still rather have kept Mancini though. Trading Mancini and calling up Diaz is an indication to the team that we’re punting this season. McDermott looks like a guy that might be a future pen piece, but may also never make MLB. Johnson looks like a good prospect, but will be 25 by the time he pitches again, has never pitched above A+, and will be coming back from TJS. We’re only 3 games out in August, just completed a 16-9 month of July, and there’s a substantial chance that we punted our season for a pair of guys that never even make MLB.

Did we really "punt" the season by trading a DH with a .750 OPS and 10 home runs? 

As for Johnson being 25 before he pitches again, see Tyler Wells on how that could turn out?

Solomon comes with enough high side that I like this deal. I'm less enthused about Diaz being recalled, but let's see how the rest of this trading deadline works out. 

I still think Santander is going to go.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Probably PR/GM speak…but it is possible depending on other factors.

Yeah, one of those factors being there are no good 1B or DH bopper prospects on the farm. Plenty of infielders and outfielders, but no one you really have to hide at DH. You can make the case for:

Mullins - CF
Rutschman - C
Mancini - DH
Stowers - RF
Hays - LF
Mountcastle - 1B
Henderson - 3B
Urias/Westburg - 2B
Mateo - SS

Vavra in the mix somewhere potentially. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Did we really "punt" the season by trading a DH with a .750 OPS and 10 home runs? 

As for Johnson being 25 before he pitches again, see Tyler Wells on how that could turn out?

Solomon comes with enough high side that I like this deal. I'm less enthused about Diaz being recalled, but let's see how the rest of this trading deadline works out. 

If Santander goes, the haul has to be way bigger than Mancini.  Is that possible?  He may be peaking, but could he extract higher value in the offseason when some of the guys are more ready?

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

He was replaced him with Yusniel Diaz, yes they are punting.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

If Santander goes, the haul has to be way bigger than Mancini.  Is that possible?  He may be peaking, but could he extract higher value in the offseason when some of the guys are more ready?

Absolutely. Santander is not only having the better offensive season according to pretty much every offensive metric, but Santander has multiple years of control left. Santander can also play a better OF than Trey. And Santander is red hot right now. We will absolutely get much more for Santander.

20 minutes ago, seak05 said:

"Elias we feel a championship window is opening" Apparently in 2024/25 which is the earliest these two will be here 

(ok it's a pretty good return in terms of prospect value for 2 months of Mancini, but them both being so far away hurts)

Obviously in the perfect world they would be closer, but I'll take the upside of Johnson and have him a few years away over a Zach Peek type in AA/AAA.