Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

4 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

You clearly have followed baseball for years, so you know full well that trade deadlines always have last minute deals, and other trades can change the equation for what teams need and make available to trade. The Orioles agreed to this trade several hours before the deadline. 

I don't disagree that Elias has been checking on deals for Lopez for weeks. However, I completely disagree with you that other deals couldn't have come in. And no, I'm not expecting a "huge deal". But it's perfectly reasonable to expect other options and teams to negotiate with to manifest prior to the deadline. That's how lots of deals have gotten done in the past.

Not going to further waste my time arguing this, since you clearly enjoy confrontation and have a history of focusing on hypothetical points in order to do so. 

Lol.  I’m focusing on hypotheticals and yet your whole argument is that he took a lesser deal because better deals were going to come in? (In case you don’t realize this, you are arguing in hypotheticals)  You can’t make this sh!t up!  

Edited by Sports Guy

I don't know any of these guys from a hole in the ground but Elias gets the benefit of all doubts right now. He is not at all being knocked off course in the rebuild. He knows this farm system has to pretty much be the best in baseball to compete on a yearly basis in this division regardless of the unexpected success this year. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I'm surprised this is the best offer out there. I would have at least waited until closer to the deadline. Elias must have plans for later...

Pretty disappointing overall. 

16 of our top 17 top prospects are at AA or AAA. We gets reliever to add to the pen guys to stock the lower levels. I’m surprised that they are all pitchers.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Do people think Elias is stupid? Do you think he was forced to trade Lopez? Do you think he didn’t want to make this deal?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, please explain?

Do you think Elias is batting 1000 in the trades he has made?  Do you think he is infallible?  If yes, please explain.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It's not the same with pitchers.  Felix Bautisa was still in the DSL at age 22 (according to Melewski.  I didn't fact check).

Bautista was in the complex league at 22. Bautista is probably a 1% outcome if that. As I said in another post, I’m not going to try to talk myself into this one because they did not have to trade him unless his Arb 2 salary was not going to fit into next year’s budget.

Just now, MDK02 said:

I'm surprised this is the best offer out there. I would have at least waited until closer to the deadline. Elias must have plans for later...

Pretty disappointing overall. 

In the end, Lopez was a waiver claim. I agree that Elias could have waited, and I'm also disappointed. But in a vacuum, Elias is bolstering the teams pitching depth in the minors and parlaying a great waiver claim into multiple chances to turn one or more of the acquired pitchers into another Jorge Lopez. Povich has a shot to be an end-of-the-rotation LH starter. Can't find too much fault in that, especially if Elias and his scouts liked the pitchers they got and feel that the organization's pitching development can help them.

Lopez is truly found money. I wish we could have gotten more, but it was still a waiver claim that generated some solid value, with potential upside in the future.

• Upvote 3