Adam Dunn on our list?

BRob51

This is the type of thing that mlbtraderumors should not even post about. In the Zriebec article linked nowhere does MacPhail mention pursuing Dunn or any free agent DH. He mentions pitching and a place holder catcher.

Then Zriebec, completely speculating based on our lack of 1B/DH and Dunn being a free agent mentioned that he could be the middle of the order hitter the O's have been looking for.

When this appears on mlbtraderumors the assumption is the O's have interest in Adam Dunn, in reality the Orioles have shown zero interest in Adam Dunn. This is definitely not happening and I'm willing to "put myself out there" and make an Oldfan style bet on it.

First of all, Zrebiac made have been told something off the record from MacPhail about him wanting to go after Dunn if the price comes down..AM may have said this a few weeks ago for all we know and now Zrebiac is throwing it in the article...If it was mentioned, I am sure there is at least some interest.

The Orioles may have shown zero interest in him because of Tex...Of course, they could have been in contact with Dunn and his agent for all we know.

As far as it happening...I doubt it too. I see Dunn as another player where the Orioles are willing to put some kind of offer out there but, as with most players, their offer will fall short.

BTW, let's also not forget what BB said earlier in the offseason...That the Orioles were waiting to see who got offered arbitration and who didn't.

Not losing a pick to get Dunn is extremely appealing and you can bet the idea of getting Dunn became more realistic the day he wasn't offered arbitration.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, let's also not forget what BB said earlier in the offseason...That the Orioles were waiting to see who got offered arbitration and who didn't.

Not losing a pick to get Dunn is extremely appealing and you can bet the idea of getting Dunn became more realistic the day he wasn't offered arbitration.

I think this is the overlooked aspect of it and yet another way that Dunn is undervalued.

People look at the strikeouts and don't see the walks, they look at the low average and don't see the high OBP. Dunn is a legit hitter, and would only cost money.

No thanks on Dunn. He's a very good player, but DH isn't a need and there will always be quality 1B/DH types in every free agent market. Reshuffling Scott/Reimold/Huff/Salazar/whoever for Teixeira was reasonable to me because of all the intangibles he brought with him, as well as his higher levels of production. But Dunn doesn't make a lot of sense. Say it takes five years to sign him...why have him for two meaningless, expensive years when we can just sign a 1B in 2010 or 2011 if we haven't developed one by then? If it only takes three, then we only get one meaningful year of him anyway. There's no reason to hurry to fill holes with free agents.

I think this is the overlooked aspect of it and yet another way that Dunn is undervalued.

People look at the strikeouts and don't see the walks, they look at the low average and don't see the high OBP. Dunn is a legit hitter, and would only cost money.

Actually, I bet Dunn not getting an arb offer will make his final contract more expensive. I'd still rather pay money than picks, of course.

First of all, Zrebiac may have been told something off the record from MacPhail about him wanting to go after Dunn if the price comes down..AM may have said this a few weeks ago for all we know and now Zrebiac is throwing it in the article...If it was mentioned, I am sure there is at least some interest.

The Orioles may have shown zero interest in him because of Tex...Of course, they could have been in contact with Dunn and his agent for all we know.

As far as it happening...I doubt it too. I see Dunn as another player where the Orioles are willing to put some kind of offer out there but, as with most players, their offer will fall short.

Well now we're speculating about Zriebec's speculation. Sure it's possible the O's are interested and many of the fans here have shown why it makes sense here. The fans are not MacPhail and based on MacPhail's plan as I understand it, signing Dunn does not fit in.

I think you agree with me but I'm willing to bet that the O's do not make a remotely competitive offer for him, and more likely, no offer at all.

This is the type of thing that mlbtraderumors should not even post about. In the Zriebec article linked nowhere does MacPhail mention pursuing Dunn or any free agent DH. He mentions pitching and a place holder catcher.

Then Zriebec, completely speculating based on our lack of 1B/DH and Dunn being a free agent mentioned that he could be the middle of the order hitter the O's have been looking for.

When this appears on mlbtraderumors the assumption is the O's have interest in Adam Dunn, in reality the Orioles have shown zero interest in Adam Dunn. This is definitely not happening and I'm willing to "put myself out there" and make an Oldfan style bet on it.

I agree completely, that was a pretty irresponsible mlbtraderumors writeup. The article literally just mentions that Adam Dunn is another free agent option. If he'd had a source he would have sourced it; or, at least, there's no reason to assume he did have a source since he didn't source it.

Of course, this doesn't mean we don't have interest; I bet we do. But Zriebiec didn't claim to know that we did.

Well now we're speculating about Zriebec's speculation. Sure it's possible the O's are interested and many of the fans here have shown why it makes sense here. The fans are not MacPhail and based on MacPhail's plan as I understand it, signing Dunn does not fit in.

I think you agree with me but I'm willing to bet that the O's do not make a remotely competitive offer for him, and more likely, no offer at all.

I would be surprised to see us offer much more than a 4/50 type deal.

I will say this....

The Orioles are very likely going to let 2 players go and not offer a contract even remotely close to what they should...Sheets and Dunn.

These are the 2 most undervalued players in this market when you look at their upside and I don't think we come even close.

Such a shame.

I will say this....

The Orioles are very likely going to let 2 players go and not offer a contract even remotely close to what they should...Sheets and Dunn.

These are the 2 most undervalued players in this market when you look at their upside and I don't think we come even close.

Such a shame.

on point Sports Guy,

it would be great to have Sheets and Dunn on the O's next year but the chances of that happening are almost as good as my big wheel moment being topped this holiday with getting that Lexus IS300 they keep showing in those commercials

the O's need to add and not subtract, if Jeremy Guthrie is traded which I doubt, it will be one ugly season with the pitching

Happy Holidays everyone and go watch George Mason play some basketball

The Cubs need to get rid of a lot of payroll before they can sign Dunn according to the stories out of Chicago. They've already said they had to get rid of salary before they could obtain Peavy in a deal. I would see them getting Peavy before getting Dunn.

The following are my comments on 11/28/08;

Here are a few notes on Adam Dunn. Wayne Krivsky will either approve or reject any further discussions about him. Was Wayne interviewed on WNST or any of the 105.7 shows? or MASN? They should ask him for an evaluation. There were reports a couple of years go that Krivsky was in favor of trading Dunn because of his high strikeout numbers. He thought he should make better contact.

He has the 5th lowest career at bats per home run in ML History. Mark McGuire hit a HR every 10.61 at bats, Babe Ruth one every 11.76 at bats, Barry Bonds one every 12.90 at bats and Jim Thome one every 13.68 at bats. Adam hits a HR every 13.96 at bats.

He has been averaging 111 walks per season over the last 5 years. Nick had 99 walks last season and BROB had 82.

In Arizona they played "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins when he came up to bat. Sounds good to me.

If our local GT first basemen goes for the bigger contract we should definitely go after Dunn. LF or DH either one is okay. I'm not sure about the right field wall in Cinncinatti but the flag court and warehouse wall are very inviting at OP. He hits some tremendous HR's and I think 50+ is not unrealistic with the kind of power he generates on his 6' 6" and 275 pound body. We have been looking for a legitimate power hitter for the lineup since Palmeiro left and he would do the job.

Obviously the GT first baseman chose Broadway. I think Crowley can help Dunn like he has helped Huff with making better contact. I am okay with one strikeout a game which seems to be his norm. Go get him AM and make sure you have unbreakable glass in the windows of the warehouse beyond the flag court.

Archived