Kyle Stowers called up

RVAOsFan

51 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

His Steamer rest-of-season projection is .232/.303/.428.  I don't know how often they update that, but I think that's a pretty plausible line.  Of course if he gets 75-100 PAs his range of outcomes could be anything from at least a .575 OPS to a .900.  But the mid-range would be in the mid 700s.

A .731 is higher than everyone still on the team except Santander and Rutschman (and Vavra's SSS). I would take that.

Edited by SilverRocket

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That's for position players the rules state pitchers have to wait 15 days before being recalled. Vespi depending what day you counted from was sent down to Norfolk on 08/12 or 08/13.

Even with the 10 day rule it hasn't been long enough, so I have to think it's related to Vavra being on paternity leave. 

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification on pitchers.

• Upvote 1

From MLB Trade Rumors: This year, he’s played 95 games in Triple-A, hitting 19 home runs and slashing .264/.357/.527. That production amounts to a wRC+ of 131, indicating he’s been 31% better at the plate than the league average hitter. He’s also lowered his strikeout rate to 25.6% for the season, which is still higher than average but a marked improvement over last year’s 32.3% rate.

The improvement in his strikeout rate and the wRC+ are both encouraging.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yeah, I ended up thinking about Nevin right after posting my reply. With various players getting practice at 1B, it very well could be Nevin getting sent down especially if Martin can make a contribution.  

Either way, I'm happy Stowers is getting a chance. This year matters but it would also be nice seeing a glimpse of what could be projected for next season.

The Phillips pickup never made much sense to me, but I’m glad it didn’t take Elias long to change course.   Phillips seems like a quality teammate and plays defender but he can’t hit his way out of a paper bag.  With McKenna already here having a guy purely for defensive purposes never made a lot of sense.   

Good luck to Stowers.  I’ll go on record as saying I don’t expect him to play every day, or anything close to that.   But it’s nice to have a guy who can hit a little and who’s a decent defender to spell Hays and Santander and be available as a LH pinch hitter.   Our team just got better.  

1 hour ago, HelenaEngineer said:

Are they able to recall Vespi after only 6 days instead of the normal 15 as a "replacement" for Vavra going on paternity leave? If so, does he have to go back to Norfolk when Vavra returns until 15 days after he was optioned on August 13? With no injuries or trades, I think the paternity leave is the only loophole to flip Vespi and Gillaspie in the bullpen.

Yep, I believe so.   You can bring a guy up sooner for IL moves, so probably that includes the other lists such as Paternity, Concussion, Covid, etc.

The logic being those IL/paternity/etc moves occur due to factors out of a team's control so you are not finding some phony manipulative way to bring someone up sooner.

• Upvote 1