Mateo may be the best story of the Orioles season...

Roy Firestone

12 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Yes, I am aware of this. My point was more that his day-to-day value drops when he doesn't catch. It is a somewhat nuisanced point but a shortstop can play defense nearly everyday and also hits everyday.  Forgive me for not stating that directly.

In my opinion it’s not close.   Adley’s easily the MVO.    Highest WAR despite missing a quarter of the season, best OPS on the team while playing the position that usually has the weakest hitters, and then there’s the team record with and without him, which is glaring.   And he’s just getting better and better.   

Mateo has been very valuable and his hitting is on the rise, but he’s been a well below average hitter on the season as a whole (91 OPS+).   

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Yes, I am aware of this. My point was more that his day-to-day value drops when he doesn't catch. It is a somewhat nuisanced point but a shortstop can play defense nearly everyday and also hits everyday.  Forgive me for not stating that directly.

Right - but why knock him for a standard that no one reaches. 🤷‍♂️

Mateo's my favorite on the team. He hit .280 in his brief Orioles' stint last year, but they caught up with him. There aren't many people who can be game-breakers on the bases, but he's one of them. Still a bit erratic in the field and has to improve that.

I hope they'll keep playing him; I think he's a better hitter than he's shown.

45 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Right - but why knock him for a standard that no one reaches. 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps your definition of "knock" is not the same as mine? The context of the question was most valuable Oriole. In other words, who on the team, given all their respective limitations (perhaps you might say "knocks") provides the largest contribution to winning over a season. Adley's a catcher. Catcher's don't provide defensive value everyday. I think that's more of a given, if you will, than a knock. I think it's also a matter of perspective. 

4 hours ago, csgordos said:

Great to see you back Roy!!!   I had a patient take a picture of my Orioles wall at work this week.  People are proud to be Orioles fans again, even in Phillies country.  Most of the autographed pictures were from your collection from the auctions for your charities.  Still haven’t framed and hung up the jerseys yet.  

As excited I am about Mateo, I am just floored how a no-name throw away pitchers on the staff are doing so well.  Gives me a lot of hope about when above average or “elite” talent is brung up or signed.   Looking forward to the next 5 years.  

@csgordos good to see you back too!  I may have to come get some PT to see all the pictures!   

As for Mateo, he is a blast to watch.  So glad we have him and he is having such a productive year especially with the offensive uptick recently!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Perhaps your definition of "knock" is not the same as mine? The context of the question was most valuable Oriole. In other words, who on the team, given all their respective limitations (perhaps you might say "knocks") provides the largest contribution to winning over a season. Adley's a catcher. Catcher's don't provide defensive value everyday. I think that's more of a given, if you will, than a knock. I think it's also a matter of perspective. 

If Adley’s a catcher and catchers don’t provide defensive value every day, how has Adley caught Julio Rodriguez in fWAR already?  

Sure he might not play every day but on the days he does play he’s the one that handles the ball and arguably has more influence on the game outside of the pitcher. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nice to see you enthusiastic about the team, Roy.    It’s been an unexpectedly fun season.  Honestly, I couldn’t pick out a single story as the best.  There’s been a bunch.  But there’s no question that Mateo has dramatically exceeded expectations despite his overall uninspiring offensive numbers.  

Can't disagree about his overall offensive numbers.  I do like his performance when he's on base.  I haven't looked at the stats, this is just an observation from watching games, so of course is subjective... but he always seems to make heads up plays on the base paths... taking the extra base on all kinds of plays...  he's been fun to watch.  

Roy, great to see you back on the board. Mateo makes me smile too. It has been a pleasure to watch him begin to tap into his tremendous talent. He is a huge success story.

I don’t quite think he is the MVO this year, but not far from it. For me, that is Adley, Ced, Santander or perhaps the entire bullpen. But his rapid growth offensively, steady and spectacular defense and blazing speed make him the most exciting player on the team. He finally got an everyday chance, and making the most of it. I believed he deserved a legitimate shot, and he got it. Great story.

Seems like almost every game SS is getting easier for him. Today showed at least twice amazing arm strength throwing against his momentum across the diamond after going deep in the hole to back-hand grounders.

Edited by LA2
  • Like 1

I love watching Mateo play (along with Mullins and Rutschman). Mateo's is a great story.  A guy with skills that was struggling and looking for a chance.  When Hyde brought him into his office and said "you're going to be my shortstop" the confidence skyrocketed.

And Mateo had obviously worked his butt off to keep his job - both on offense and defense.  He is the type of hard worker you need on your team at a key positron.  I hope to see him in Baltimore fir many years - always getting better. 

Un gran placer verle jugar.  No mas ncesitaba la chance.  Siga adelante, Jorge.  Eres el shortstop de los Orioles de Baltimore. Que puede ser mas de ssto?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:
14 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Roy, how did you become an Orioles fan? The Orioles trained in Miami in most of the 60' s and early 70's. I talked my way into becoming a batboy and clubhouse boy when I was 15. My first ever interview(for the High School paper) was with Brooks Robinson. After I got the interview I went home and to my shock and disgust the machine jammed the tape and I got nothing. The next day, I sheepishly told Brooks the tape  recording didnt work. Brooks said "Thats okay partner , lets record it again." And we did. I never forgot that. How many of todays superstars would have done that? I was an Oriole fan for life..Still am.

John Steadman of The News American echoed those sentiments when he said, “There’s not a man who knows him who wouldn’t swear for his integrity and honesty and give testimony to his consideration of others. He’s an extraordinary human being, which is important, and the world’s greatest third baseman of all time, which is incidental.”

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Seems like almost every game SS is getting easier for him. Today showed at least twice amazing arm strength throwing against his momentum across the diamond after going deep in the hole to back-hand grounders.

I was of the mind before the season that we should sink a bunch of money into a FA SS this coming offseason. Mateo has made me think otherwise. Any 2023 FA additions should be in the pitching staff (ideally a premier #1/2 guy) and/or a high-end 2nd catcher IMO. 

17 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

That must be an interesting story as to why you are an O’s fan.  Do you live in Obidos?

It was the beginning of the 2016 season and I had nothing to gamble on. I didn't know anything about baseball but put on a bet and watched the game, I think I liked the Orioles jersey,  the stadium and Manny looked like a great player that game and his last name is common here in Portugal even though Portuguese and Spanish are different languages. At the time I was also a Flyers fan (no longer a fan because I realized how trashy Philly fans are) and they shared the same orange so that could also have been a factor.

I'm not from Óbidos, it's a pretty small town but I'm surprised someone here knows it. Bet you've had some Ginginha de Óbidos there, I like to have one once in a while.