Log-Jam at Norfolk

Crazysilver03

Last season, the Bowie rotation consisted of David Hernandez, Chorye Spoone, Chris Tillman, Brad Bergesen, and Jason Berken.

The Norfolk rotation consisted of Hayden Penn, Radhames Liz, and other pitchers.

Going into 2009, we know Patton is destined to start in Norfolk. Also, BB mentioned that the FO will most likely have Liz start the season in Norfolk. Waters and Albers both might end up going to Norfolk because of options remaining and limited space on the 25 man roster.

So there is a possibility that the Norfolk starting four could be Patton/Waters/Liz/Albers. Then, there are the crew of Bass/Simon/Burres/Penn who are out of options and will have to be waived off the 25 man roster if they dont make it. Outside of Penn, I would believe everyone would pass waivers.

I bring this up because there may not be room in the Norfolk rotation for any of the the Bowie crew to move up. Arrieta will replace Spoone in the Bowie rotation to begin 2009, but I would prefer the other four to get experience at Norfolk and not have to repeat Bowie.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last season, the Bowie rotation consisted of David Hernandez, Chorye Spoone, Chris Tillman, Brad Bergesen, and Jason Berken.

The Norfolk rotation consisted of Hayden Penn, Radhames Liz, and other pitchers.

Going into 2009, we know Patton is destined to start in Norfolk. Also, BB mentioned that the FO will most likely have Liz start the season in Norfolk. Waters and Albers both might end up going to Norfolk because of options remaining and limited space on the 25 man roster.

So there is a possibility that the Norfolk starting four could be Patton/Waters/Liz/Albers. Then, there are the crew of Bass/Simon/Burres/Penn who are out of options and will have to be waived off the 25 man roster if they dont make it. Outside of Penn, I would believe everyone would pass waivers.

I bring this up because there may not be room in the Norfolk rotation for any of the the Bowie crew to move up. Arrieta will replace Spoone in the Bowie rotation to begin 2009, but I would prefer the other four to get experience at Norfolk and not have to repeat Bowie.

I know one thing they can't do and that is hinder the progress of Hernandez, Tillman, Bergesen and Berken. Waters and Penn will not take a spot away from the boys from Bowie. Penn had his shot, as well as Liz(who I think will be OD roster) and as for Bass/Simon/Burres they are most definitely not taking a spot from the Bowie boy's. Waters would probably be used out of the bullpen and Albers could be used in the rotation then that would pose a slight problem. My rotation will be:

Bergesen

Hernandez

Berken

Patton

Tillman

I think Bass/Simon/Burres will be used out of the bullpen if they are not waived,IMO.

Bergesen

Hernandez

Berken

Patton

Tillman

I think Bass/Simon/Burres will be used out of the bullpen if they are not waived,IMO.

I could see Berken being left behind in Bowie.

Are you assuming Bass/Simon/Burres will be used out of the Orioles bullpen or Norfolk bullpen.

A think to note is that Bass and Burres can both refuse outright assignments if they clear waivers and I could see them deciding to become free agents and heading elsewhere.

I could see Berken being left behind in Bowie.

Are you assuming Bass/Simon/Burres will be used out of the Orioles bullpen or Norfolk bullpen.

A think to note is that Bass and Burres can both refuse outright assignments if they clear waivers and I could see them deciding to become free agents and heading elsewhere.

Norfolk, I just can't see them taking away from the Bowie boys. Why do you think Berken will be left behind? He did have a pretty good year at Bowie. I think his age would keep him at Norfolk, but I do believe he deserves a promotion to Norfolk. If anybody going to Bowie I would imagine it would be Tillman even though I believe that would be a mistake. As for Bass and Burres, let them go, I don't think we would be hurting if they left. They would be holding the development of our pitchers back.

Norfolk, I just can't see them taking away from the Bowie boys. Why do you think Berken will be left behind? He did have a pretty good year at Bowie. I think his age would keep him at Norfolk, but I do believe he deserves a promotion to Norfolk. If anybody going to Bowie I would imagine it would be Tillman even though I believe that would be a mistake. As for Bass and Burres, let them go, I don't think we would be hurting if they left. They would be holding the development of our pitchers back.

The main reason I can see Berken being left behind in Bowie is because he isnt on the 40 man roster, so the Orioles would most likely want to see how Bergesen and Hernandez fair against AAA hitters as they are the more likely pitchers to be called up to the majors then Berken at the current time.

One thing is going to clear up this jam in Norfolk and I don't think many will like it... There are still 3 open spots in Baltimore. While I can see the O's signing at least one more person to fill a rotation spot, I can't see Hendrickson keeping the job for a whole season.

Liz showed something at the end of the year last year, and this is a dream come true for bubble guys in Spring Training. Everyone will get their fair shot and room will be cleared for people who deserve it at Norfolk via the opinings in the bigs as much as forcing people back to Bowie.

Let's be real here, though, this is a good thing for the O's. They have a lot of prospects starting to force their way into the upper levels, and this hasn't been something that has happened in a long time. Take it for what it's worth, whether some guys repeat in Bowie or go to Norfolk, it's a good thing.

This is how I see it:

MLB Locks

Guthrie

Olson

Hendrickson

MLB or Bust

Penn

Bass

Simon

Burres

Hennessey

MLB/AAA or Bullpen

Albers

Liz

Waters

AAA

Bergeson

Hernandez

AAA/AA

Tillman

Arrieta

Patton

Spoone

Berken

AA

Matusz

Erbe (Might be better off w/ a half year at A+)

Gezzzzz. I know I'm forgetting a couple guys

Man, this is such a great problem to have, you know? :)

Yeah, I have been thinking about spending more time in the minors forum. It is way less depressing than the Majors fourm.:o

I wonder if MASN will have the foresight to show more Tides games this year? With all the pitching talent that should be there, I would think that fans would want to see that.

MLB: Guthrie, Liz, Olson, Hendrickson, Penn

No way does the FO put Penn through waivers. Penn, Hendrickson and Guthrie are locks. There's room here for one more starter, assuming Hendrickson is the swingman. I can't see Liz and Olson not making the roster, despite having options available. They need MLB practice, and there are options in AAA to replace them if things go wrong. Burres may fit back in here, but I'd just as soon consider him DFA'd.

AAA: Bergesen, Berken, Patton, Albers, Waters, Hernandez

Bergesen and Hernandez will move up. Because of his projection to be a reliever, it's entirely possible Hernandez moves to the pen in Norfolk. Patton and Albers will continue to rehab in AAA just to make sure they can pitch okay and see what they have. They will be the next two up if someone in the MLB falters. Berken has been mentioned as being left in Bowie, but in recent interviews with him, it has been noted that he fully expects to pitch in Norfolk next year. Waters is the odd man out here... he's filler. I don't see him long term anywhere.

AA: Tillman, Arrieta, Matusz, Spoone, Erbe

Because of his age, I don't see Tillman making the leap to Norfolk yet. He has command issues he can work on, and I certainly don't see any reason he won't make the jump to AAA midway through the season if injuries catch up to the MLB squad.

I really can not imagine a scenerio where Albers, and Liz are healthy and in AAA.

Me either. Both of these guys will certainly be in Baltimore if they are healthy in some role. They both may be in the bullpen, but I don't see them in Norfolk.

Archived