Roch: Gunnar and Hall heading to Cleveland to join taxi squad (Update: Gunnar added to 26-man roster on 8/31)

Brooks The Great

All of the games are meaningful.  And they will be for multiple reasons.  Regardless of whether the O's stay in the picture or not.  

The closing stretch has games against the Astros, Yankees, Blue Jays.  These games will all have implications, whether they have implications for the Orioles or not.

The Orioles are 6-4 over their last ten, but only the Rays have bettered that...Seattle, Toronto are also 6-4 and Minn is 5-5, Boston is 3-7 and the White Sox are 2-8.

Last night was a loss, not a death sentence.  The handwringing here is sometimes overbearing.  

The Orioles, even losing 2 in a row, control their own fate on the last day of August...that is incredible.  Jeep it up.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Beysbol said:

Totally agree with post. Why isn't Vavra playing? 

Vavra went cold with the bat. His glove isn’t as good as Odor and 2B, and Stowers in COF. He’s a Util/PH type. I do like his OBP potential, but right now we can’t afford to give him on the job training. Next ST will be big for his development. I think he’s a future LF/2B/1B going forward. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It really is dumbfounding how they are handing this roster and how they are holding onto some of these guys as if they are actually good.

Henderson should have been up here at worse two weeks ago.  I don't discredit the impact Odor has had with this team and the club house chemistry but with this teams offensive woes the last few weeks you would have thought having Gunnar up earlier to have a chance to have more of an impact get some games under his belt get comfortable would have made more sense.  I also think they are afraid to DFA Nevin because he literally is the back up first baseman.

As many have said previously and in this topic discussion,  Elias approach here is confounding at best.   The infield starters are great at defense and helping the decent to good pitching which is a major part of the team’s success.  But without offensive production (slumping or season long) from the infield the Os are going to continue to lose games to good teams and as a result will not make the playoffs. 

It is frustrating, arguably poor management and horrendous treatment to the fan base given the positivity around the team for Elias to not have bolstered the infield for Aug/September.  If Henderson was always the plan, then to bring him up like this while keeping Vavra and Nevin who are no longer playing on the team is a joke.  Especially egregious is saying recently he expects the team to make the playoffs and not doing anything to help improve the offense. 

Edited by Pat Kelly

1 hour ago, Keygans said:

And this is worse than Odor….how? 

I see the case Vavra and would like to see more opportunities for him (I made the case for trying him at 1B on another thread). I don't love Odor. But Vavra has not played his way into an everyday role, Odor is the vet, and they are both LH.

Vavra's big asset in the minors has been OBP but we saw with Joey Rickard that doesn't necessarily translate to MLB. Small sample but right now he is slugging lower than his OBP and it's not because his OBP is off the charts.  

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I see the case Vavra and would like to see more opportunities for him (I made the case for trying him at 1B on another thread). I don't love Odor. But Vavra has not played his way into an everyday role, Odor is the vet, and they are both LH.

Vavra's big asset in the minors has been OBP but we saw with Joey Rickard that doesn't necessarily translate to MLB. Small sample but right now he is slugging lower than his OBP and it's not because his OBP is off the charts.  

All good points.   I guess what I was driving at was that we aren't hitting with the lineup we have.... AT ALL.    Why not give Stowers, Vavra, and soon Gunnar at bats.     1 hit last night, and... very few runs the last week.    Odor is almost a guarenteed out at this point.    And ya, Vavra has cooled, but... maybe he takes a walk?  

I understand not bringing Henderson up until last week to avoid the rookie eligibility issues with days and at-bats.  I just don't understand not bringing him up earlier this week when that was no longer an issue.  He should have been in the line-up all three nights in Cleveland.  Instead of Odor, Urias or Mountcastle...take your pick.