Correa opts out…should the Os pursue him?

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I want them to be both honest and decent people.  I suppose I'd rather have an honest jackass than a dishonest one, but I'd rather have a guy who's not a jackass at all.

Why is he not a decent person based off of this comment?

This seems to be the type of thing that people nowadays get all upset about but it’s nothing.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Have you?   I’ve been there a couple of times.  Wouldn’t want to spend my winters there, but otherwise it’s nice.  

If you take bias out of it and ask me if I'd rather have a very high paying seasonal job (no winter) in Minnesota or Baltimore I'd pick Minnesota.

I was previously really into the idea of signing Correa but I am very much the opposite at this point. There is a lot of SS organizational depth and some are quite good. 

But if he did end up signing here…where could Holliday be traded and for who? No point in having a top prospect at a position that will be blocked for many years, especially when the team needs starting pitching as much as the Orioles do. I know the pitching was a bright spot this year but should we really feel comfortable with guys like Watkins, Zimmermann, and Baumann as depth? I’d much rather let Kremer and Bradish be the guys battling to round out a rotation. And if they are the ones filling in the backend, it seems like it’s a better chance of landing a targeted starter to focus on FA rather than search and hope for a trade partner. Correa would just make building a solid team more difficult. 

And who cares about his personality really? We all loved Manny when he was here and he is the type of guy to idolize Alex Rodriguez, AKA one of the sports worst personalities ever

14 hours ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Sign Turner  8/280

This is probably not the best idea for a guy whose skill set relies heavily on speed and who is going to turn 30 before the AS break in year one of eight. I'd much rather sign Correa to that deal and I have no interest in signing Correa.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Of course, it would also take prospects (particularly if you're aiming higher which I would target Corbin Burnes from Milwaukee, but would not mind Lopez who will obviously be much cheaper in terms of talent). I'd throw Westburg or Ortiz and DL Hall into the trade mix.

Burnes is a legitimate ace who won't reach free agency until the 2024-2025 offseason so if Milwaukee decides to deal him, I would imagine they would be looking for young, elite talent with tons of team control remaining. I don't think guys like Santander, Mateo, Urias, and Hays would interest them all that much since they already have pretty comparable guys on their roster- Taylor, Renfroe, Adames, Luis Urias, etc. I previously used the SEA/CIN trade involving Luis Castillo in another thread to illustrate what a potential deal for Corbin Burnes might look like for the Orioles and will do so again here because all of the trade proposals I keep seeing for Burnes (not just yours) are drastic underestimations, IMO.

The Reds got 2 of the Mariners' top 5 prospects, Noelvi Marte and Edwin Arroyo, both of whom are also top 50ish overall prospects, plus 2 more solid prospects, for 1.5 years of a lesser pitcher (Castillo 2020-2022: 3.49 ERA/130 ERA+, Burnes 2020-2022: 2.62 ERA/156 ERA+), so the Brewers would be well within their rights to seek a similar package for 2 full years of Burnes. The closest comps to Marte and Arroyo in the Orioles system (based on their placement on prospect lists) would be Holliday and Cowser, so that is probably a reasonably accurate starting point for a hypothetical Burnes trade, IMO.

A package comprised of useful but non-elite MLB guys like Santander, Mateo, Urias, and Hays and/or second and third tier prospects like Hall, Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, Rom, and Haskin simply isn't going to get it done because there will absolutely be other teams out there willing to pony up legitimately elite talent for a bonafide ace with multiple years of control remaining. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why is he not a decent person based off of this comment?

This seems to be the type of thing that people nowadays get all upset about but it’s nothing.

I'm not really that upset, especially since there's a very small chance I'll need to root for the guy in the near future.  If he wants to be all about the money he supposedly deserves and signs with the Dodgers or whatever, go for it.

47 minutes ago, oriole said:

I was previously really into the idea of signing Correa but I am very much the opposite at this point. There is a lot of SS organizational depth and some are quite good. 

But if he did end up signing here…where could Holliday be traded and for who? No point in having a top prospect at a position that will be blocked for many years, especially when the team needs starting pitching as much as the Orioles do.

Nobody really trades a #1 overall draft pick a few months after he's signed.  In fact, I'm pretty sure there's a rule you can't trade him for at least a year.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not really that upset, especially since there's a very small chance I'll need to root for the guy in the near future.  If he wants to be all about the money he supposedly deserves and signs with the Dodgers or whatever, go for it.

I would guess there is a small percentage who aren't "all about the money".   Which ones offend me more?   The guy who says it's all about the money or the guy who says it's about the team who wanted him the most and, oh btw, gave him the biggest contract OR the guy who says it's about the school system and, oh btw, signs the biggest contract offer?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you take bias out of it and ask me if I'd rather have a very high paying seasonal job (no winter) in Minnesota or Baltimore I'd pick Minnesota.

The problem is, “winter” in Minnesota can include April and September.  Just checked and it’s cloudy and 37 today - good thing they’re not hosting a playoff game!

19 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would guess there is a small percentage who aren't "all about the money".   Which ones offend me more?   The guy who says it's all about the money or the guy who says it's about the team who wanted him the most and, oh btw, gave him the biggest contract OR the guy who says it's about the school system and, oh btw, signs the biggest contract offer?

I distinguish between choosing a team based almost exclusively on money and being a bad teammate.  Those are two different things.  It may be that a guy who chooses a team almost exclusively on money may be somewhat more likely to be a bad teammate, but it’s not necessarily the case.  What I want for the Orioles is players who will be good teammates, regardless of whether they came here because the money was best, or because they think Baltimore is the greatest city in the universe.   

Edited by Frobby

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I distinguish between choosing a team based almost exclusively on money and being a bad teammate.  Those are two different things.  It may be that a guy who chooses a team almost exclusively on money may be somewhat more likely to be a bad teammate, but it’s not necessarily the case.  What I want for the Orioles is players who will be good teammates, regardless of whether they came here because the money was best, or because they think Baltimore is the greatest city in the universe.   

I judge being a good teammate by what other players, the coaches, and the manager say about the player.   Most of the time that isn't public knowledge.   

• Upvote 1