Lyles, Voth, Gallagher and Garcia

wildcard

I have three starters solidly in the rotation:  Kremer, Bradish and Grayson.  Roch questions if Voth will be tendered.   In what world do the O's not tender a guy with a 3.04 ERA in 17 starters?   Roch needs a reality check.

There is a question if Lyles has his option picked up.   Does a 4.42 ERA and 1.385 WHIP in 32 starts and 179 IP  get his 11M option picked up?   Or do the O's put that 11M towards a better starter.  The O's could refuse the option and still pursue  Lyles in FA at a lower salary.  I don't have an answer for this.  But Kremer, Bradish, Grayson, Voth, Lyles and a FA are all possibilities at this point.  Pick 5.

Right now it looks like Tyler Wells gets stretched out in ST in case of injury to any of the starters but begins the season in the pen.

There is some confusion over whether Cam Gallagher has an option left.   Fangraphs says he doesn't.   Cots contracts says he does.

Fangraphs  says Aramis Garcia  hasn't reach arbitration eligibility yet.   But Baseball Reference says he had 2.036 years in service time before the 2022 season and  it looks like Garcia spent most of the season on the major league roster or on the IL which adds to his service time.  There is a question in my mind if he is arbitration eligible.

Now you could say who cares about Gallagher and Garcia.  They may not make the opening day roster.  However Gallagher will be the most experienced back up catcher on the roster when Chirinos becomes a free agent and Garcia probably has the best bat of the backups and has options left.   I could see both getting tendered.

A lot of questions and no answers yet.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Does Voth have any options left?  

He does not.

I can't see him getting non-tendered. I would be surprised if he ends up making more than $1.5M as a first year arbitration eligible player, given that he was DFA'd last year.

It may be gamesmanship to claim that they may non-tender him in hopes that he agrees to a contract for next season prior to the non tender deadline, but if he calls their bluff I think the O's will tender him.

Voth would almost certainly make more next season if he were to be non-tendered.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

He does not.

I can't see him getting non-tendered. I would be surprised if he ends up making more than $1.5M as a first year arbitration eligible player, given that he was DFA'd last year.

It may be gamesmanship to claim that they may non-tender him in hopes that he agrees to a contract for next season prior to the non tender deadline, but if he calls their bluff I think the O's will tender him.

Voth would almost certainly make more next season if he were to be non-tendered.

Thanks MD. I would think that zero options definitely impacts the calculus. I'm guessing that if Voth is tendered a contract, and the O's really want to upgrade their rotation by acquiring 2 starters, then he would be put into a long man spot starter role. And ready to step in to the rotation in case of injury. And I think Bradish has 2 options remaining and Kremer has 1 (and GRod will have 3), so Voth could also step in if they falter.  

• Upvote 1

Lyles at $11m is wild. I don’t see it happening. Maybe decline the option and re-sign him to something like 2/14. I’d rather see a high end starter signed while filling the rest of the rotation out in-house and via trade than signing any middling FA starters.

Voth being non-tendered would also be wild. He almost immediately turned a corner as soon as the O’s got hands on him. I’d love to see him as a spot starter/long relief option. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

MLBTR projects Voth to make 2M in arbitration.   That is cheap for a starter that projects to make 23 starts.   Its even reasonable for a reliever.  Whether Voth is tender should not even be a question.  

I agree.  And I don’t think he’ll get quite $2 mm.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree that Garcia appears to be arbitration-eligible.  I’ll be a bit surprised if he’s tendered a contract.  

I think they tender him.  Begin him to ST to compete for a spot as a backup for the O's or to share catching duties with Handley.  He can be DFA in ST at a reduced rate if he does not look good.

The one thing I think would change that is if the O's sign a better catcher.